Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.


seahawks25seahawks25 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
What's the process for declaring a major if you enter UCLA as undeclared? Will they reject you from some colleges if you don't seem "good enough". For example, I know that the engineering program is good. Will they reject an undeclared person from that school?

Replies to: undeclared?

  • phospholipasephospholipase Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    edited August 2014
    Go to the department which houses the major. This should not be very difficult, although the department counselor might try to deter you from declaring their major if your performance in pre-requisite courses is low. They might have GPA requirements or petitions or an application process. You should talk to the department in which you're interested.

    Switching between colleges is completely different. If you want to enter HSSEAS from another college (for example, as an undeclared life science from College of LS), it's not as straightforward and it's definitely harder than switching between majors within a college. You still need to talk to department/college counselors to switch. You would have to take a number of engineering pre-reqs and do very well in them if you want to transfer into engineering. It would also take some time if you're just entering UCLA, as they want to see your grades in science courses at UCLA before admitting you into the school of engineering. They will not reject for the sake of being undeclared, but they might for being mediocre.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 10,254 Senior Member
    for whatever major(s) you are interested in, go to the dept webpage. They usually explain the procedure. As pointed out, for some you need to take some classes and earn a certain grade. Others, just ask and you're in.
  • person415person415 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    You should apply undeclared in whichever school you are thinking about going to more. If you are thinking about engineering but aren't sure what kind, you can apply as an undeclared engineering major. If you are thinking about one of the sciences, then you can apply undeclared to the college of letters and sciences. You can't just apply to ucla all together as undeclared, you must apply undeclared to a specific school. Warning: the undeclared majors, at least in the school of engineering, is EXTREMELY competitive. So apply if it is something you know is important to you. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.