Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UCLA's Computer Science Dept.

leoftwleoftw Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I have tried to do some research over the net on UCLA's Computer Science dept on how good of a program it is, this website and many others have very little info on it but I sure would like to know anyones thoughts on it.
Post edited by leoftw on

Replies to: UCLA's Computer Science Dept.

• flopsyflopsy Registered User Posts: 8,368 Senior Member
    UCLA Computer Science is tied with UCSD in the rankings for second-best in the UC system. The strengths of the department are in embedded systems, networking protocols and computer graphics. The program is very competitive, mostly impacted and has a 1/3 attrition rate from admission to graduation. Many UCLA Computer Science graduates get recruited each quarter by Symantec, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and numerous other top software companies. Anything else? :rolleyes:
  • leoftwleoftw Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    thank you for sharing that info with me , I really appreciate it .
  • QW553QW553 Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    UCSD's CS will soon pass UCLA, maybe they already did. Actually UCLA's CS is declining compared to what they are in the 80s and 90s. But they are good enough to get you a decent job.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Registered User Posts: 14,740 Senior Member
    I'd suspect you can get more than a decent job.
  • QW553QW553 Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    UCLAri, I think CS at UCLA is a top 20, but UCSD is getting themselves into top 10 in the near future.
    You didn't counter what I said.

A top 20 department will easily get you more than a "decent" job. Rankings of departments matters very little in the job market outside of a few cases.
  • DeucesDeuces Registered User Posts: 1,501 Senior Member
    It really depends on your area, bay area companies routinely hire SJSU grads because they have a good relationship with the students that out. There's a variety of factors, and jobs are on an individual basis. You work hard, you'll get a good job.
    I don't care what ranking it is or anything like that , even though if UCSD was #1 I wouldn't go to that university or care. I was asking about UCLA not UCSD or any other school . I don't want to be a **** but it seems some people just wanted to put down UCLA :P is it a coincidence that the person doing so was from USC :P
    hey btw thanks everyone for the contribution in my thread.
    leoftw,

I think most of us just wanted you to have a point of reference. :)
    yeah I reread what I said and I made myself look like an a%&. My bad :P
    No, don't worry about it. I got what you were saying.
  • fastMEdfastMEd - Posts: 1,073 Member
    Come on, UCLA is the birthplace of arpanet. Even though it's not the best, it is alright.

Regarding SJSU, at Yahoo, there was this fellow from sjsu, not so brilliant a programmer, not even close to competent allegedly, but now he is a vp in the company.
  • MadeInChinaMadeInChina Registered User Posts: 1,392 Senior Member
    But they are good enough to get you a decent job.

hahahahhahahaha
    MadeInChina,

Are you implying that one cannot secure decent employment after UCLA?
This discussion has been closed.