Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

About Your Major

applebellapplebell Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
What's your major?
How are the professors for your major?
How much do you like what and how you're being taught?
Why did you pick it?

I'm so confused. I don't even know whether I want to get a North or South Campus major. And this quarter, I'm taking random GE's...
Post edited by applebell on

Replies to: About Your Major

• __allie____allie__ Registered User Posts: 3,066 Senior Member
    comm studies.

freaking awesome.

loved it but i have a pretty strong passion for my field and really felt like i wouldn't be happy majoring in anything else.

see above. i thought for a while about what i could see myself doing for four years and then after school. i couldn't see myself doing anything else. it was a fairly easy decision for me.

it's normal to be confused this early in the game. as you take classes and meet people, i think you'll gain a better understanding of your options and what you'd be happy doing.
  • aurora borealisaurora borealis - Posts: 124 Junior Member
    History is my primary major. I'm doing a double with Art History maybe.

The department is huge. Spectrum of different professors tenured, associate, visiting, ... so far so good.

Have only had a few courses so far... survey. Not that interesting. Enjoyable for what they are.

Versatile major. Easy to double/triple. Buying myself time for graduate school and future.
  • passerbypasserby Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    Economics.

Professors mostly horrible.

Topics can be interesting, but a lot of the econ professors don't know how to teach, so you end up learning from books/lecture notes and not from the actual lecture.

I originally wanted Business Econ w/ an Accounting Minor, because I wanted to get a Business Management degree and this is the closest thing UCLA has to an undergrad business program. I didn't have good enough grades for both the BizEcon major and the Accounting minor, so now I'm doing the Econ major and taking Accounting classes on the side.

What do you want to do after college, and what are you interested in? Maybe that can help you decide on a major.
  • sofakingwangstasofakingwangsta Registered User Posts: 457 Member
    was biz econ, changed it to DESMA now.

I've taken one econ class and one DESMA class. Enough said. Econ is interesting enough, but not my thing. I think I would go crazy if I stuck with it.

Biz econ was more of my parents' choice than mine. Most Asian parents want their kids in premed/engineering/CS. I absolutely refused, so the next choice down was biz econ. I finally had the guts to submit my application to DESMA. It was something I've always wanted to do. Hopefully I will be happy.

Taking "random GEs" is a good idea if you're not sure what you want. It basically gives you a taste of all the different kinds of majors offered at UCLA. You might take a class you never thought about before, and end up liking it. My suitemate was a history major; last quarter I took a classics class with her, and she ended up loving it. Now she's changing her major to classics just because of that one class.
  • AltemaAltema Registered User Posts: 1,082 Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat as passerby and I share his opinions.

There are so many bad economics teachers. The only one that I would classify under the good/great category is McDevitt. Others are just okay or just plain horrible.
  • applebellapplebell Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Cool :). I'm interested in comm, but I'm not sure.

I'm also interested in a lot of other subjects lol.

Anyone majoring in physics or philosophy like to respond?
This discussion has been closed.