Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why should I pick UCLA over USC?

1234568»

Replies to: Why should I pick UCLA over USC?

• vc08vc08 Registered User Posts: 3,340 Senior Member
    haha, it's all good. I definitely agree with you about the 1 vs 2 thing. Many times there aren't even differences between the top 10 schools. I was simply trying to make a point about individual programs, and how Berkeley seems to have the most programs that are considered very strong. But if you came out with a degree from UCLA or USC, I don't think anyone would question you for not attending a "better" school.
  • j_shirley08j_shirley08 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Wow. Creating this thread has made my decision all the more harder. After reading through all of these responses, I suppose UCLA and USC are equal for me now, where before, I was leaning towards USC. I have planned a visit to Los Angeles in the Fall and I will be touring both campuses and doing an interview at USC, so hopefully one will jump out at me.

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback!
  • QW553QW553 Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    infearandfaith,

USC sends out report of every crimes related to students, staff and faculty. For the past 2~3 years, I am sure there weren't more than 10 students robbed at the gun point. So you want me to believe several are your friends? You have the right to bash USC, but please use the facts and reasons. Actually stat-wise, USC and its immediate vicinity are safer than UCLA.

BTW, give me more of your high school vals, and less of you and your sister:)
  • vc08vc08 Registered User Posts: 3,340 Senior Member
    QW553, I have to disagree with the safety thing. When I walk right off campus and see bars over every window, that worries me. Plus, some guy tried to sell me drugs once, which didn't really make a great first impression. Now, I don't know the exact stats, but I wouldn't promote it as being "safe".
  • infearandfaithinfearandfaith Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    qw553 here's your example, my girlfriends brother was held up at gunpoint on a thursday night during spring. his name is Joel, I hope thats specific enough haha. I'd second vc08 here, USC is hardly known for its safe campus or even area in general. That's not to attack USC, the campus is definitely very nice considering its location. I also know they work hard to make up for that by providing the best security they can.

I'm not trying to imply UCLA is perfect either, so theres no need to be defensive. I think if you were to ask a random group of people who don't attend either school which area they think is safer/nicer, the answer would be pretty clear. Again, I do not dislike either Cal or USC. USC is a little rougher on the outside, but I really think they do an excellent job attracting a very diverse student body. Likewise for Cal, which has it's own feel and yet has a lot of great people. So it's one thing to feel defensive about your school, and another to call someone's statements into question merely to protect your own opinion.

and i have no idea at all what you asked me there at the end ??
  • dawritingmachinedawritingmachine Registered User Posts: 756 Member
    oh yeah, and if money is a problem, and since ur out of state, i suggest that u pick usc if u want to make your edu worth it. i have relatives paying for me so i picked ucla (i like the campus feel better)..

US News and World Report 2007
    National Universities: Top Schools:
    26. Univ. of California—Los Angeles
    27. Univ. of Southern California
  • mme-linmme-lin - Posts: 2,813 Senior Member
    This is slightly irrelevant but in regards to USC/UCLA rivalry, the archivist on floor 2 of YRL has some interesting pamphlets/booklets on UCLA lore, traditions, the rivalry, etc.
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.