Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UCLA Business econ vs. Berkeley Business Admin

UCLAclassof2009UCLAclassof2009 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
I know that Berkeley has a better program for business, but UCLA just feels right to me. College is 4 years of my life and I want to enjoy it, so because of that, I am strongly leaning toward UCLA. So what I want to know is, am I killing my future in business by going to a school that does not have as strong of a program as Berkeley? How different are the two majors? I know that at UCLA, they said most people in business econ go on to be accountants, and Berkeley's program seems to send people to all sorts of jobs. However, as of now, I want to be accountant, so this is not really a big deal to me. What would you do in my situation and WHY??

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Post edited by UCLAclassof2009 on

Replies to: UCLA Business econ vs. Berkeley Business Admin

• kfc4ukfc4u Registered User Posts: 3,415 Senior Member
    go read on the thread "Questions? Ask me" by daraverla. he's someone who has graduated with a business economics degree already, i think.
  • alwaystherealwaysthere Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    Neither will kill your future in whatever. It is the way of thinking - do you want to enjoy this 4 years or the 40 years after that?

That being said, either is fine to choose. But I would choose Berkeley in a heartbeat.
  • awakenedreamawakenedream Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    Berkeley's Business Admin degress is under Haas.
    Kids apply to Haas at the end of their sophomore year.
    Of the UC Berkeley kids who apply to Haas for Business Admin, only about half or less actually get accepted to Haas.
    So just because you got accepted into UC Berkeley, doesn't automatically mean you're going to be able to do Business Admin at Haas because it's highly competitive (in top 10 in country for undergrad business programs).

If you simply want to be an accountant, go to UCLA. But if you have the aptitude and drive to get into Haas, you will have a lot more opportunities, not just for accounting, but for financial analysts, banking, other business jobs, etc etc
  • nobleguy05nobleguy05 Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    Go where you're happy! Both are good schools.

That's how I see it, anyway.
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    The 40 years of your life after college will have so many unexpected wrinkles and changes that you might as well go where you will get the best four years you can now, including education, and be adaptable for the future.

Either choice will be fine. However, if you're drawn to UCLA, then go without a second thought.
  • WestowWestow Registered User Posts: 721 Member
    not to go off topic here. but i have similar situation as well. its not about choosing business program between UCLA and Cal, but rather about engineering. i know that berkeley engineering is better than ucla but i also like UCLA better than Cal. so should i go for UCLA as well? i know i shouldnt really be asking this here on UCLA board but. =\
  • kengkeng Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    err so if i do LA im more likely to become an accountant... err thats not wut i want to do... i have the drive, in my opinion, that haas students have but i want to go to LA closer to home n friends.... ahhhh
  • awakenedreamawakenedream Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    keng: bizecon doesn't only lead to accounting, it can lead to much much more
  • kengkeng Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    i hope so i juss hope my salary will not be considerablly less than if i had gotten a degree from berkeley
  • UCLAclassof2009UCLAclassof2009 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    anyone know the avg. salary out of biz econ? I hear Berkeley is up to $90,000...that's pretty tempting LOL
  • BenedictChanBenedictChan Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    Isn't it around 40-55k for bizecon grads
  • BigRed25BigRed25 Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    uclaclassof2009, no undergraduate degree ANYWHERE will get you a 90,000 starting salary. the avg salary of a MBA out of the top business schools such as stern,wharton,ross,haas,sloan,etc... will get u an avg starting salary of around that. (not including bonus of course, hehe)
  • shyboy13shyboy13 Registered User Posts: 356 Member
    http://career.berkeley.edu/Major/BusAd.stm

I wish I had the UCLA BizEcon data but I'm sure it is very similar to the above link.
  • ErlkonigErlkonig Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Why don't you call up admissions at UCLA and UCB or get in touch with some current students or some of the professors you would be working with and just ask what the program is like and how most of their graduates are doing? They typically do keep track and when I've asked similar questions they've always been perfectly willing to talk to me.
This discussion has been closed.