Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which laptop should i get?

laserbaselaserbase Registered User Posts: 699 Member
Apple vs Dell

The Macbook Pro from the UCLA computer store?
Monitor Display 17 Inch LCD (1680x1050)
Processor Core 2 Duo (2.4Ghz/800 Mhz, FSB/6MB Shared L2 cache)
Memory 2 GB Ram PC2-5300 DDR2
Hard Drive 250GB HD (5400RPM)
Video Card NVIDIA Ge Force 8600M GT (512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM)
Price $$1549

or the

Dell XPS M1530 sale using UCLA student discount
Monitor Display 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900)
Processor Core 2 Duo (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Memory 3 GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Hard Drive 320GB 5400rpm SATA
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Price $$1007

I know with the mac u get a free iPod so if u add the 300 to the dell it becomes $$1307

Do you think the 250 dollar difference is worth getting the mac or should i just buy a dell...I really like them the same but what do u guys think? Also the mac says its a "close out model." does anyone know what they are talking about? can u show me?
Post edited by laserbase on

Replies to: Which laptop should i get?

• 8888888888888888 Registered User Posts: 4,466 Senior Member
    Mac OS is the bomb.
  • liyana179liyana179 Registered User Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    uh, do you really need a macbook pro? cuz for most students, that's just overkill. sure, it's nice, but do you really need it? most of us can live without lighted keyboards...

i'm pretty sure close out model means they're gonna update the macbook pro, so those particular model specifications won't be sold anymore.
  • ChangelingChangeling Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    I'm just using the macbook rt now, and it's perfectly sufficient. Well I wish there was a graphics card, but hmm keeping me from installing like COD 4 is probably keeping my gpa above water =P

I'd choose mac os x for the better stability/fewer viruses. I mean last thing u want is ur comp to die the night before a paper's due (my old windows laptop actually did that =.='' I ran down and bought a macbook immediatedly haha.
  • FireEmblemFireEmblem Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    there are lots of good things about the macbook pro, but i would get the dell...just because i hate mac. its still a general rule of thumb that mac is better for multimedia, and pc is better for games. if you think this is just a cliche go look up some benchmarks..

uh i think the firewire 800 slot the mac has is a lot faster than usb but other than that i dont see enough in the macbook to justify the price tag.

both are good laptops
  • FisicoFisico - Posts: 631 Member
    Liyana wrote:
    uh, do you really need a macbook pro? cuz for most students, that's just overkill. sure, it's nice, but do you really need it? most of us can live without lighted keyboards...

MacBooks come in matte black and white. The white had an issue with the palm rest, it would turn orange. The black MacBook just showed all your fingerprints on it (look at the CLICC laptops!). The MacBook Pro has a much nicer case, but it's way more expensive. So you'll have to decide on trade offs.

I like the Mac OS, but it sure sucks when you can't find compatible software. Running Windows on a Mac defeats the purpose, so why bother? MacBooks are overpriced, but they do look nice I suppose.

Also factor in weight. Are you going to carry your laptop to school often? Personally, I am waiting for the new Lenovo x200 Thinkpad. At ~2.95 lbs. and a ~$1200 starting price, it looks like a good combination for me.
  • mrMOOmrMOO Registered User Posts: 864 Member
    Consider portability too. 17 inchers are ****ing hell to carry around often. Trust me, I know.
  • 8888888888888888 Registered User Posts: 4,466 Senior Member
    yea get a 15 inch mbp.
  • kick53rv3kick53rv3 Registered User Posts: 1,803 Senior Member
    keep in mind all the programs that windows can run, unless you do major video editing i don't think the video card would be such a concern since mac barely have any games lol also I just liked the fact it is so much easier to "share" programs on windows...
  • VTECaddictVTECaddict Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    the $1549 price is for the MBP with 160gb drive, not 250. and according to apple specs, it has a 256mb video card, not 512 and a 4mb processor cache, not 6mb.
  • FireEmblemFireEmblem Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    personally i would go commando style and go with the chisel & slab of stone

its impressive
  • NitNit Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    Close-out means it is the last generation model so you get a slightly slower CPU, smaller Hard Drive, and the older keyboard layout as mentioned by VTE.

If you like them about the same and don't really want the iPod then get the cheaper Dell. Dell laptops don't have the best reputation but I hear the XPS line is decent.
  • laserbaselaserbase Registered User Posts: 699 Member
    hey VTEC your right about the hard drive, is should actually be 160 gb but i think the video card and processor specs it says
    http://i2w3.ais.ucla.edu/asucla/store.aspx?pg=maccomputers.pdf
    • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. 800MHz System FSB. 6MB shared L2 Cache.
    • NVIDIA Ge Force 8600M GT (512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM)

i think u confused for the 15 inch cuz it says the same stuff u were saying
  • NitNit Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    VTEC has it right since it should be the last generation model which has this set of specifications:
    Apple Store (U.S.) - Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The store may not have your choice of screen type (glossy VS matte) if that is a big issue because it is a closeout sale.
  • toxic_wastetoxic_waste Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    eh. if you carry your computer around more than a couple times a month, Dell.
  • laserbaselaserbase Registered User Posts: 699 Member
    omg its refurbished? what does that mean? its used?

i think im getting the dell
This discussion has been closed.