Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I Don't Know Which Math To Take!!

sparkle415sparkle415 Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
So I never took precalc but I would like to major in Econ which requires math 31a and 32b. I would prefer to just take the test and pass into 31a. #1, is this possible? and #2, would 31a just be impossible without a precalc background? i would really prefer not to take precalc at ucla..
Post edited by sparkle415 on

Replies to: I Don't Know Which Math To Take!!

• dontchadontcha Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    so u only took up to algebra II/trig?...if so, I don't see you passing into 31A and wouldn't recommend it if you somehow did

just take the test and let the chips fall where they may
  • kick53rv3kick53rv3 Registered User Posts: 1,803 Senior Member
    i think if you can pass the test with a decent score (not barely pass) then you should be fine in calc since the test is mainly precal
  • mrMOOmrMOO Registered User Posts: 864 Member
    I do not get this whole precalc stuff. Isn't precalc supposed to be trig?
  • DeucesDeuces Registered User Posts: 1,501 Senior Member
    they go by different names at various schools - but yeah precalc = trig, and for us algebra II was before that.
  • aa6590aa6590 Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    precalculus is quite a bit different than trig. usually they are integrated and when most ppl think of the subject matter in precalc, they think of traditionally trigonometric topics, as that is the largest application in early levels of calculus.

but other precalculus topics that are not trigonometric include definitions of a function, continuity, basic integration and differentiation, limits, probability and statistics, conics, rules of triangles, matrices, etc.

so no, they are not the exact same or interchangeable, but are often taught and taken in course simultaneously.
This discussion has been closed.