right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

gpa trouble

ReflectionReflection 64 replies6 threads Junior Member
I am a senior who is having some hard time filling out the UC application.

My greatest concern is my gpa. I have gotten a pretty low GPA(3.4) in my sophmore year, and because of that my weighted UC GPA is 3.96 (below average).

I didn't get a low GPA in sophmore entirely because of my bad academic attitude; there were some adjustments in my schedule during the middle of my sophmore year, which earned me a C and a B in government and french, and since I transferred from a school that only gives one grade person year, my C and B is now counted twice in my current high school, which has a semester-based system. My college counselor suggested me to mention that on my personal statement, but I don't think I should, since I got more important things to write about and besides, blaming school for bad grades is just a lame thing to do.

Anyways, I have taken 16 semesters of AP/CL courses along with 8 UC certified honor courses, and have gotten As/5s on all of them. This year I am taking 14 more semesters of academic AP/CL courses, and very likely to get As in all of them, except maybe AP Eng lit.

I am wondering if an improvement of .5 from in the junior year is significant enough to excuse or at least mollify my poor performance in the 10th grade.

I would be very happy to see some replys from current or former berkeley students who have shared the same situation with me.
edited November 2004
2 replies
Post edited by Reflection on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: gpa trouble

This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity