Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

math placement test

hermaphroditehermaphrodite Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
wondering about the math placement test during orientation. i got a 4 on calc BC, which i think gets me out of 31A. so how good do i need to do on the placement to get me out of 31B?

and how hard is the placement test, compared to the AP?
Post edited by hermaphrodite on

Replies to: math placement test

• NitNit Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    If I'm reading the math site correctly, UCLA's math placement test only determines if you satisfy the prerequisites for getting into Math 1, 3A or Math31A

UCLA Department of Mathematics
  • binks09binks09 Registered User Posts: 937 Member
    Math Placement only places you into Math 1 or Math 3a/31a
  • hermaphroditehermaphrodite Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    so the placement test won't be able to get me out of 31B? then what is the point of the test if i've already passed the conditions for 31A?
  • sid3000sid3000 Registered User Posts: 485 Member
    The test isn't meant for you if you passed the AP exam...
  • HelljumperHelljumper Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    I got a call yesterday and they said I should sign up for the Math Diagnostic Test because I didn't get a 5 on BC (I got a 4 on BC, 5 AB subscore)
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn - Posts: 16,060 Senior Member
    I think it varies between L&S and HSSEAS
  • HanTzu1337HanTzu1337 Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    Nit's link suggested that a 4 on the BC exam means you didn't have to take the test...so I didn't sign up for it.
  • RiffsRiffs Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    Saw this in the FAQ for MCDB majors. I'm pretty sure it applies all around. Hope it helps some people in Math.

If you placed out of a quarter or two of calculus, enroll in the next one in the series. So if you placed out of your first quarter of calc, enroll in Math 3B or 31B. Placed out of two quarters? Enroll in 3C or 32A. Took one semester of calc at a community college? That counts for your first quarter - enroll in 3B or 31B. Took two semesters of calc? If you're a life sciences major, then you're done with calculus. Don't enroll in math at all! If you place out of some math with AP, or if you took some at a community college, don't worry - you won't be missing course material if you don't retake it here. Calculus is calculus.

And as it may help some.

For people currently worried.

They site this as a practice test: California Mathematics Diagnostic Testing Project

Topics covered:

Skill areas that are covered by the test are:

* Elementary operations with numerical and algebraic functions
    * Operations with exponents and radicals
    * Linear equations and inequalities
    * Polynomials and polynomial equations
    * Functions
    * Trigonometry
    * Logarithmic and exponential functions
    * Mathematical modeling -- word problems.
This discussion has been closed.