I think ya'll know my sentiment about going to UC Merced, but if you disregard my advice (ye' be warned!) and insist on finding out for yourself, follow these simple steps to avoid looking like a noob.
1) KNOW HOW TO DO YOUR OWN LAUNDARAY. Ask mom or dad to teach you, or risk l@@king
like a noob when you ask other n00bs here how to do it.
2) This applies to men and women, bring a pair of hiking shoes, if you take a trip to Yosemite (which I really recommend) or if your just walking around the fields here, they are quite useful.
3) Sunscreen. A lot of sunscreen.
4) Leave your polo shirts at home, inless you want to look like a pretentious ass.
5) Get to know as many people as possible your first WEEK. This is critically vital, you will be surprised how fast "clicks" form, better get in one before your left out to dry! haha
6) Dump your boyfriend or girlfriend before you get here, it will be easier this way.
7) Dont take a full load of classes. Take classes your good at first semester so you wont be as stressed...just generally dont overload yourself right off the bat.
8) Set ground rules with your room mate early, its a lot better than later when your friends, and one of you might get your "feelings hurt" when you try to inforce a rule that you thought was common practice between you guys. Examples include, but are not limited to:
a) Put a sock outside your room when your having sex.
b) No friends over past 1 am
c) It is or isnt ok to borrow your stuff.
d) yeah, list goes on....
9) I would also bring a few cases of water and some other basic food items.
10) Perhaps the most important of all, bring a sense of humor here! College is suppose to be fun, regardless of the person you were in highschool you can change. Ease up, LOL sometimes, make a joke or two...you will be surprised how much easier it will be to make friends when your in a good mood.