Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Ask a UCM Student!

124»

Replies to: Ask a UCM Student!

• crizellocrizello Registered User Posts: 1,293 Senior Member
    Thanks for being available to answer questions. My son is considering UC Merced after we visited in the spring. Some other posts have said that the opportunities for research are really limited. I wanted to see what your experience is. Is it really possible for a freshman or sophomore (engineering) student to get research opportunities?
  • OotmanOotman Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    crizello,
    I am the student who posted that statement about how the research opportunities are limited in "UC Merced Myth is Busted" post. I would not say that opportunities are really limited, I just do not believe the way the school describes it to be. You cannot really go knock on professor after professor's doors and ask for a position. It would however take nearly a semester or two to get to know a prof. enough to get a position.
  • crizellocrizello Registered User Posts: 1,293 Senior Member
    Thanks for reply. I can see how options would be limited, especially for freshman. It's good to know that the opportunities are there if you are looking for them
  • feuerwerkefeuerwerke Registered User Posts: 408 Member
    just throwing this out there to all you norcal'ers (and ppl who think there's nothing to do locally): there's a renaissance faire going on in auburn on the weekend of may 8th and 9th (mothers day weekend!). it's kinda far for UCM students (like about 2.5 hrs drive), but it's called cains crossing renaissance faire ..i went last year and enjoyed the swords, kilts, and thick celtic accents ;-)
  • bellaybellay Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    how is the major Management in UCM? does any have the same major like me? i will start undegraduate study in Management for this fall 2011, so can anyone give me some information about the professors and opportunities about this major in UCM? thanks
  • Premed4lifePremed4life Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    "(and ppl who think there's nothing to do locally): there's a renaissance faire going on in auburn on the weekend of may 8th and 9th (mothers day weekend!). it's kinda far for UCM students (like about 2.5 hrs drive)"

Thats like saying Mexico is a local attraction for UCLA students. Come on.
  • julikurianjulikurian Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi

It was nice of you to clear up the doubts about UC MERCED. My son wants to do premed at UC Merced next year - Molecular and Cellular Biology. My question - is there any need to take all the AP classes in high school since you cannot take any credit for it for premed classes? What are the most important AP classes he should take and what can he avoid? What type of grades/gpa/sat scores do you need to get into UCM for premed? thanks and really appreciate the info.
  • joylovejoylove Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    @Bellay
    My roommate was a management major and I got close to a few on my floor. In all honesty, they all loved it and found it easy. Except for the first general econ course which is a serious weeder class. My roommate joined Business Society, a huge club on campus that helps you quite a lot in entering the business world and preparing you for its demands. I would recommend joining. But that's all I can really offer on the subject as I'm a bio major :)
  • joylovejoylove Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    @julikurian
    Is there a need for all the AP classes?
    Yes. I took about 9 to 11 AP classes in high school and they have prepared me exceptionally well for handling the stresses of college. Not all of them can be used to exempt you from courses in the pre-med track, but the ones that do will help you get rid of some of your lower division humanities courses. The rest still count as credit and the more you have the sooner you'll be able to pick your courses for the upcoming semester which is more valuable than you know.

The AP classes I took were the perfunctory Literatures, Calculus, Biology, the Histories, the Governments and so on.

There is no specific pre-med major at UC Merced. I'm pretty sure you just need a decent SAT and at least a 3.0 GPA to get in. So don't worry about that :)
124»
This discussion has been closed.