Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

On campus v. off campus

IWillGetInIWillGetIn Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
Hey guys! So I'm going to be a freshman at UCR this fall and I was wondering between the two. As of now I was told by my financial aid advisor that if I switch to off campus and share a apt. I really won't have to take out any loans as long as I budget myself. Did anyone experience the same thing when they did do off campus? I really don't get all this financial stuff and Id really appreciate it if I could get some pointers from people who did off campus their first year at UCR. Thanks!
Post edited by IWillGetIn on

Replies to: On campus v. off campus

• Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    If you do off-campus you won't get as much financial aid as a person on-campus. Because the govt assumes that if you live off-campus you have the money.

To be honest living on-campus is funner.
  • IWillGetInIWillGetIn Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @Gunner4Life I actually ended up getting my aid package for off-campus and since I'm living with a friend, I dont have to take out any loans at all! Thank goodness, I really couldn't afford to take out loans.
    I hope you enjoy UCR, although I believe you are missing the college experience by not dorming.
  • IWillGetInIWillGetIn Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I'm a social person so making friends wont be a problem and honestly I'd rather miss out on the dorming experience (I'm not looking forward to sharing 5 stalls with 50 people) then go into debt.
    College is a lot different than you think, it's not about making friends etc. But dorming really is a unique experience.

But, I respect your decision.
  • 0moorad00moorad0 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I would dorm if i were you, a lot of my friends attended 4 years right after high school and i ended up going to a jc. Most of them say they had very unique experiences their freshman years in the dorms. Thats probably one of my biggest regrets.
  • ffmaniac988ffmaniac988 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I just graduated from UCR, and I was in the same boat. I decided to live on campus in Pentland. Pentland is rather new so everything is clean. On top of that every hall has 2 bathrooms and in Pentland every hall is only about 5 rooms so you're really sharing 2 bathrooms with about 10 people. Because each hall is rather small in size, it's pretty quiet too compared to the other dorms so you can get a lot of studying/work done. Hope that helps! As for financial aid goes, it would definitely be a lot cheaper living off campus for reasons already mentioned, but I highly recommend the dorming experience. After all, you only go to college once and won't get to ever do this again.
This discussion has been closed.