Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.


BlazeBKBlazeBK Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
Hi, I just sent my SIR last night under the major of General Biology, since I did not get into my first choice of Bioengineering. I know it's impossible to switch majors now due to Bioengineering being impacted, however, after one or two quarters at UCSD, with good GPA and all other things, is it POSSIBLE to switch at that point?

Secondly, how can I declare a minor? Would I have to wait until a quarter begins and talk to an advisor/use the major/minor tool or can I call them now?

Post edited by BlazeBK on

Replies to: Majors/Minors

  • astrinaastrina Registered User Posts: 3,029 Senior Member
    Yes, it's possible to switch. Make sure your grades for the classes you share with BE majors are in tip-top shape.

    googling "ucsd declare minor" seemed to work pretty well. Don't bother rushing into it. Minors aren't impacted.
  • OyamaOyama Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    Not only that but getting the designation of a minor is really insignificant. Minors aren't displayed on your diploma. The only official document it appears in is in your transcript and if you're already showing that to another party, they'd see all the classes you've taken anyway (I myself had two completed minors and was close to finishing a third; the only reason I finished my bio one was since I already had 6/7 required courses without noticing it).
This discussion has been closed.