Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can I take an AP test for French and get units at UCSD for it

gaiou37gaiou37 Registered User Posts: 446 Member
I speak French as my first language and was wondering if I could take the AP test for it and earn credit for UCSD. I am a Junior student there. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I am not from the US and don't know how AP tests work.

Thank for your help!
Post edited by gaiou37 on

Replies to: Can I take an AP test for French and get units at UCSD for it

• astrinaastrina Registered User Posts: 3,029 Senior Member
    Are you a junior in high school or college?

HS - yes, through this: Advanced Placement Credit

college - no, you can't take the AP exam for credit. but if french is your first language, then you can pass out of your college's language requirement if it has one.
  • gaiou37gaiou37 Registered User Posts: 446 Member
    I am a junior at ucsd right now. I was just wondering if there was any way to get any credit for speaking a foreign language
  • astrinaastrina Registered User Posts: 3,029 Senior Member
    There are ways, but they're not very ethical and if you don't need a language requirement to graduate, why bother? It's like pretending you don't know calculus and taking precalc to get the easy A.
  • WarrenfreshmanWarrenfreshman Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    If UCSD rules allow it, then there is nothing wrong with it.

There is no rule prohibiting students to take AP tests of their first language.
  • 92faim92faim Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    No, not at this point. You had to take the AP tests before you entered college. :(
  • CrossticaCrosstica Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    You can't get AP credit, but I'm pretty sure you can challenge the course's.
This discussion has been closed.