Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Java Programming I: Introduction to Java Programming - don't know if I should skip Java I

VFrostVFrost Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I am just now finishing the Java II course at my college and am interested in taking the Java Certification courses with UCSD; however, I am conflicted with respect to if I should opt to skip Java I or not. UCSD's Program Representative has informed me that my Java I and II courses have covered the topics discussed in UCSD's Java I, and says I could decide to start with Java II at UCSD.

MY CONCERNS:
1. each of the 4 courses in UCSD's certification program costs $675.00. That is a lot of money so skipping Java I would be valuable monetarily as well as in the time I would save (roughly 2 months). I have done well in my classes and am comfortable with methods, arrays, lists, OOP, inheritance, polymorphism, and abstraction - but, what if my comfort level isn't enough for the potential UCSD course rigors.

2. I worry that even though my completed course material will cover Java I, I will be in over my head if I start at Java II. I can of course drop the course if this is the case, but that won't give me my time back and I want to use the cert in the job market sooner rather than later.

QUESTIONS:
-Has anyone taken these classes? What is your opinion on starting at Java II rather than Java I?

Replies to: Java Programming I: Introduction to Java Programming - don't know if I should skip Java I

• MutaRiSCMutaRiSC Registered User Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Perhaps if you posted a link to relevant course descriptions you might get better responses.
  • drtasydrtasy Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am a current Freshman at UCSD in Computer Science and have no idea what you are talking about. Java I and Java II are not classes. Are you talking about CSE8A/CSE8B? Or CSE11? Or CSE12? They are all Java courses.
This discussion has been closed.