Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

phys 1a or 2a (from a practical standpoint)

dbanoozadbanooza Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
Which should I take? I haven't taken ANY physics in high school. So I want to learn but do well without getting shafted. What's the main difference between the two series (besides being algebra vs calculus). How are the two approached differently?

I'm thinking of taking Phys 1A and studying my friend's 2A notes as a supplement?
Post edited by dbanooza on

Replies to: phys 1a or 2a (from a practical standpoint)

• chessdude2chessdude2 Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    What do you want to do with your life?
  • dbanoozadbanooza Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I'm premed
  • i_losei_lose Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    How well can you understand concepts and apply them to equations? Are you good at calculus? Do you want to eventually take 1 hardcore lab class (2 series) or 3 chill lab classes (1 series)?

From what I've heard, depending on the professor, there's a possibility of getting completely owned on the quizzes for 2 series, but for 1 series, the difficulty never changes between professors.
  • chessdude2chessdude2 Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    Hopefully you can still say you're premed after 3 years here. ;) Might wanna keep your options open if other majors entice you.
  • astrinaastrina Registered User Posts: 3,029 Senior Member
    I didn't take a single bit of physics in high school but jumped into the 2 series headfirst -- got beaten up along the way, still don't remember a thing, but survived anyway. Some majors (like mine) require it, so we don't have much of a choice. Then again, some grad programs (like mine) could really care less what our lower-division grades are, so I was set.

If you're premed, don't have any lasting interest in physics or chemistry, just pick a bio major and stick with the 1 series. The MCAT tests basic physics anyway, so at least if you do well in the 1 series, you'll be in good hands for that.

I don't agree with the calculus/algebra thing between 2/1-series. We COULD have used calculus for some of the problems, and I did a few for fun, but all my exam problems were algebra.
  • i_losei_lose Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    chessdude: i don't think i've met very many former pre-meds who changed from a science major to an even harder science or engineering major. :P
  • ArcticArctic Registered User Posts: 664 Member
    im a cognitive science major and am taking calculus 2 now, im not really a fan of calculus. I've never taken a high school physics class and am not really interested in it anyways.

which series should i take?
This discussion has been closed.