Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
keenesbeanskeenesbeans Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I've been reading around and i haven't read much on bikes at UCSD.. Are bikes necessary to get around campus? Would you recommend purchasing a bike for college?
Post edited by keenesbeans on

Replies to: Bikes?

• onedayoneday Registered User Posts: 518 Member
    I wouldn't recommend it. It's really NICE to have a bike cause it reduces your walking time by A LOT. but, I feel like the most interesting conversations i've had (Besides during meals) are walking to/from classes with people.
  • jasonlee576jasonlee576 Registered User Posts: 543 Member
    Bikes get stolen alot supposedly! And I don't think it's all too necessary since most people walked every time I went to visit.
  • ad.bcad.bc Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    do people ever ride scooters? like razors.
  • astrinaastrina Registered User Posts: 3,029 Senior Member
    scooters aren't exactly .... cool anymore.

as for bikes, i really liked having one -- it's not necessary that you get one right away, they go for cheap enough at target and costco, you have plenty of time to pick one up.
  • feesha724feesha724 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    haha...jasonlee, that reminds me of when I was at Transfer Admit Day...my mom, my grandma, and I were walking back to the car and I saw a bike chained up...but someone had stolen the tires...I thought it was pretty funny, but I bet the bike owner didn't
  • knuggetknugget Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Some people take off the tires inorder to prevent theft.

What about longboards?
  • MKxOSMKxOS Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    longboards are fun to have in UCSD; make sure you actually know how to ride one safely..

or learn how to fall safely! :D
    many times, i fell down lots because of stupid recklessness [but that's just me ;]
    don't be afraid to fall when you longboard; it's just a matter of shaking the dust off and moving on.

longboarding is quite a common transportation in UCSD, but its convenience is really dependent whether you live uphill or not.

muir/marshal/revelle students live sorta uphill, so longboarding's good. i wouldn't say the same for warren/sixth.. :P
    wouldn't taking the tires off defeat the purpose if you're trying to get from one class to another, though? You don't have enough time between classes to put tires back on I don't think...
  • MiqueMausMiqueMaus Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    I think Knugget is talking about popping wheels off. I usually take my front wheel off and lock it to the rest of my frame so people can't just quick-release a wheel and walk off with it. Sheldon Brown has a good tutorial on how to use a single U-Lock (or D-Lock, depending on what you call it) to lock an entire bike securely. Unless someone carries a power tool around, your bike will be safe if you buy a decent lock.
    I didn't know any of that...but I think it's kind of ridiculous that you have to worry this much about your bike being stolen...it happens everywhere (especially at UCSB) but it's just so wrong that ppl have to worry about their bikes getting stolen...maybe I'll buy a crappy bike that no one would ever want to steal and use that...lol
  • astrinaastrina Registered User Posts: 3,029 Senior Member
    good bikes are always a better target for thieves ... but if you lock it alongside other bikes in a well-trafficked location and buy a good lock for it, you'll be one of the luckier ones.
  • andrew2011andrew2011 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    People use just about everything to get around. A lot of people use bikes (I haven't heard anything about bikes being stolen (it probably isn't any worse here than any other college campus), but longboards/skateboards are more popular. I've seen some scooters.. but not many.

If you have back-to-back classes on opposite ends of the campus (like, York and Warren Lecture Hall) then you'll probably need something to get you there faster (unless you run, it'll probably take you more than 10 minutes to walk that far). The shuttles only come every 10-12 minutes, so you can't depend on them to take you across campus between classes.
  • milliemontagmilliemontag Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Is the campus pretty flat?
  • wandering_mysticwandering_mystic Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    nope, there's a pretty big hill to get up to muir, erc, marshall, or revelle from warren or sixth.
  • gracie06gracie06 Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    .... you could try living without a bike and see what its like.. and during winter break when you go home you can decide if you want a scooter, bike, or longboard...

=)
This discussion has been closed.