Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances UCSB?

shadyonautoshadyonauto Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I am an upcoming senior with a 3.98 UC GPA and a 3.57 UW GPA and i am part of the top 30% out of 600ish students at my school.I have been taking Honors/Gifted /AP courses since freshman year.

I am an officer of two competition clubs( that i have been in since freshman year:Technology Student Association and VEX Robotics) which together takes up 15-20hrs a week.I was in my school's XC and Track Team for sophomore and Junior year,as well as being part of Student government those two years.Senior year I will be joining more volunteer and competition clubs (including SNHS,Mu Alpha Theta,History Club,Science Olympiad and African Club)

I have taken 5 AP classes during my sophomore and junior years: World history,European History,Language,U.S History,and Physics B, and in my senior year I will be taking 7(if you count both physics c as separate)more APs;Environmental Science,Physics C:Mechanics,Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism,Literature,Macroeconomics,Calculus AB, and U.S Government and politics.That makes a total of 12 AP classes from sophomore year to Senior year.

I got a 1650 Sat score on my first time taking it,but plan improving it to a 1850 or higher
Math:610
Reading:580
Writing:470

On the Act, I got a 24 Composite but i plan on also improving this score to a 27 or higher
Reading:26
Math:24
English:20
Science:25

I am also working at an amusement park (32hrs/week) to help my parents pay for my senior year and save up for college, i have also done some community service and have raised lots of money towards charities including March Of Dimes,

Also i am out of state(Georgia),a minority(AA),i am coming from a low income family, and i will be the first to go to college from my family.

What are my chances into getting into UCSB or even UCI,UCSD,UCD?if there is anything i can improve on to help my chances please tell me

Replies to: What are my chances UCSB?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 23,792 Forum Champion
    Your STATS look good except your English score on the ACT and your SAT writing score are pretty low for the UC'S. I would definitely retake either the SAT or ACT. I believe you have a chance but as an OOS student (even with a hook AA), are you and your family able to pay around $53K/year for the UC's??? Since you are stating you are low income, I think not. UC's give OOS students very little financial aid. As a student, you would only be able to borrow around $27,000 for the 4 years and rest will be up to your parents. You would have a better chance at your in-state schools which would offer merit aid and need-based aid. There are some sticky threads on CC to check that would give you automatic scholarships and aid. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.