Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"NOT PASS" AWPE RESULT

AileenaisonAileenaison Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Because I didn't pass the test, should I register for classes at a community college, or would it be okay to wait until I start my classes at UCSB and just take the Writing 1 course offered there?

Replies to: "NOT PASS" AWPE RESULT

• Lilliana330Lilliana330 Registered User Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    Not necessary. You just have to take W1 at UCSB.

http://www.writing.ucsb.edu/academics/undergrad/awpe

"A score from 2 to 6 indicates placement in Writing 1."
  • calla1calla1 Registered User Posts: 1,936 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    If I remember correctly, my son (who also did not pass) was specifically advised NOT to take a class at a community college this summer, as this would make him considered a transfer student and might affect aid, etc.

He will take it during the Freshman Summer Start program and get it out of the way.

If you aren't doing FSSP, you will take Writing 1 this fall. Signups are during orientation.

• vanimeldevanimelde Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    calla1, your son was possibly advised incorrectly. I completed many community college courses while enrolled in high school (including during the summer prior to matriculation at UCSB) and was considered a freshman for purpose of admissions. I believe that he would be considered a transfer student if he matriculated at a college or university after completing high school (summer enrollment typically does not constitute matriculation).
  • calla1calla1 Registered User Posts: 1,936 Senior Member
    @vanimelde, I looked around and I think you are correct. Thanks for the correction. To be safe, I would clear the course with the admissions office, but it does look as if OP can take a qualifying writing course at a CC if he/she wishes.
This discussion has been closed.