Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any cons of getting a BA degree in chemistry vs. a BS?

KaiokenKidKaiokenKid Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm a senior getting ready to graduate soon. I waited a little too long until my last quarter here before submitting my declaration of major petition from Pre-Chemistry to Chemistry. After waiting a while, I eventually heard back and was told that I did not fulfill the Pre-Major GPA requirement in the Organic Chemistry courses. This ended up being because I thought that the policy of only 16 repeating units replacing previous grades and the rest averaging with them was that I got to choose which 16 units to replace, and which ones to average. Instead, the policy was that the first 16 units I repeated were replaced and this was set in stone.I knew some of my Ochem grades were low so I repeated them, but it was after repeating easier courses from my freshman year that I didn't try on the first time and got C-'s. So, my Ochem repeats were averaged with my previous grades and I failed to meet the GPA requirement in that area.

This put me in the unique situation where I finished all of my upper division requirements like physical chemistry, but I failed to meet the Pre-Major. Even though I have taken all of the courses required for the BS Chemistry degree, after talking to the advisor I was told that they can make an exception by letting me into the BA degree instead of the BS. I have appealed this decision, but if it does not go through and allow me to get a BS, I want to know if I face any disadvantages with finding work or going to grad school with a BA. Also, should I include on my resume and on any applications that despite my BA, I still completed all of the BS requirements?

Thank you, and sorry for the long post.
This discussion has been closed.