Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Introverted UCSB Applicant who cannot drink for health reasons

itsmeyaboiitsmeyaboi Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Of all colleges I have visited, UCSB is my top choice (beautiful campus, lots of ECs, great study abroad program), but the party school reputation worries me. I take medications (Lamictal, in particular) which cannot be mixed with alcohol or drugs; it is too dangerous and I don't want to get sick. I also feel that I am the type of person who will give in to risky ways to relieve temporary pain, and alcoholism runs in my family.
Second, I am rather introverted. I can be very shy and timid at first, but once I open up, I can be loud, silly, and down for a good time. I love to have fun. Could I find friends like me who would prefer to "adventure" around SB and go out to IV to enjoy its unique atmosphere, get dinner,.... basically anything that doesn't involve alcohol/drugs or "casual sex and beer"?
To summarize, will I fit in, and can I avoid the party scene? Any responses are much appreciated!

Replies to: Introverted UCSB Applicant who cannot drink for health reasons

• itsmeyaboiitsmeyaboi Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks again :P
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,470 Senior Member
    You do not have to drink alcohol to go to college or have a good time. You may, however, want to select roommates or housemates whose lives are not centered around alcohol, particularly in terms of hosting alcohol-based parties.
  • itsmeyaboiitsmeyaboi Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2017
    I appreciate that, thanks. I did hear that there are substance-free dorm floors, so if I do get accepted to the school, I definitely plan on trying to land in one of those, haha.
This discussion has been closed.