Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Car vs Motorcycle

UCSBTransferUCSBTransfer Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
I've heard that its a hassle to bring your car with you to UCSB but I would still like a reliable means of transportation in case I ever need to go home or if I end up getting a job etc.. So I was thinking of taking a motorcycle.. would that relieve some of the stress of finding parking and what not? Whats the situation when it comes to motorbikes?
Post edited by UCSBTransfer on

Replies to: Car vs Motorcycle

• ajdavidson07ajdavidson07 Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    there are specific motorcycle parking spots and they are always right up in front to where you want to go. im taking my bike.

will you be a new rider or are you already a rider?
  • UCSBTransferUCSBTransfer Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I'll be a new rider aj..
  • blastieblastie Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    i dont know how to drive a motocycle :(. I still prefer a bus over biking. i have a question. Anyone in here has a bus schedule and routes of some sorts :S?
    you can find those at ucsb's web site^

i really wouldnt advise getting a bike FOR school. its not just a mode of transportation, its a lifestyle and a commitment, super dangerous, and has its ups and downs.. not saying you cant do it or anything, but if you do, please take a motorcycle safety foundation course (MSF) wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT), and start small... ei 250, 500, or a two cylinder 600.

this is all advise IF you really decide to do such
  • andrewexdandrewexd Registered User Posts: 921 Member
    yeah i wouldn't get a bike just because it's convenient, only do it if you really want to ride.
    sweet man well in that case i would say go sign up for a msf course, get gear, and ride smart! i can show you some good tips and pointers when we are there in sept. hell, we can even start a biker gang.
  • RankaRanka Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    Buses are decent in UCSB. I myself lived in SB all my life and am going to live in the dorms at UCSB this year. I plan to bring a car (just cause im used to it here), but the buses in town take you to everywhere you would need to go in Santa Barbara. You will probably make a friend who has a car too. So a car isnt really a requirement, and probably more of a hassle due to the parking fees of over 500 dollars, unless you live within a drivable distance from home.
  • ernestosilva123ernestosilva123 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    to the post starter: did you end up using the motorcycle?
  • keltixkeltix Registered User Posts: 437 Member
    It's a 2-year old thread....I doubt he is still around.

I bought a motorcycle my second year here and it was totally worth it.
    It's super convenient (i.e. parking, gas, 101-traffic) but it's a serious decision to ride and shouldn't be taken lightly.
  • ernestosilva123ernestosilva123 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    cool I might do that.
  • hondapower2.2Lhondapower2.2L Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    what do you ride, keltix?
    im on a sv650.
    maybe we've seen each other lol
    I don't ride, but planning to take msf in June. Considering whether I should get a bike and bring it down to sb, but don't know if its a hassle or not
    lots of things to consider:

+money (to even buy one)
    +permissions (parents)
    +periodic maintenance ($$$, time, and tools)
    +security/vandalism (especially in IV)
    +safety (gear and associated costs ~= $1000)
    +insurance
    +parking (free in designated spots on campus, but IV is sketchy due to drunk people)
    +do you have mechanical aptitude to fix things yourself
    +changing tires (either take to shop, or take wheel off and get a ride to shop, $$$)
    +amount of load to carry on trips
    +how far from home you live (bad form of primary transportation for trips more than 200miles away)
    +passengers
    +inherent dangers of riding
    +it gets really cold going 60mph+, especially in SB
    +rain
    +etc
    Yea, I'm from the Bay Area and it'd probably be a pain. I have enough to get a Ninja 250 or 500 and some decent gear. As for insurance, what do you have?
This discussion has been closed.