right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UCSC Waitlist 2020

Replies to: UCSC Waitlist 2020

• honeybeedoorshoneybeedoors 75 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I heard that UCSC rarely offers waistlist- almost zero May/June 2019. This year is very different due to Corona. My co-worker's, distant relatives' friend supposedly works in the admissions office. UCSC unrolled their waitlist early this year- May 4th. That's it. If you haven't heard by May 4/5 you are NOT getting in! UC Riverside unrolled their waitlist May 9. That's it.

Agenda?

60% of those that opted in for the waitlist last year were eventually offered admission.

UCSC 2019 stats:
    Waitlist offers: 12,859
    Waitlist opt-ins: 7,576
    Waitlist admits: 4,686

UCR extended their SIR deadline to 5/15, yet they unrolled their waitlist on May 9th. What happens to all of the admitted students that don't enroll by 5/15? Do those spots just not get filled?

· Reply · Share
    False. The first and ONLY waitlist unrolling was Monday, May 4. You have 7 days to respond, that is it. There isn't any more wait list this year. Very unusual year with Corona, and a bunch of people getting off the waitlist depending on your major.

False, you have 5 days to respond (response due tonight). Everything else is speculative and due to the short time frame is probably dependent upon how many accept the offer (from the waitlist).
    · Reply · Share
  • JennifercsufJennifercsuf 5 replies0 threads New Member
    @Fonzieholly Where are you getting your facts? They will continue to open the wait-list based on spots available.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30697 replies440 threads Forum Champion
    edited May 10
    @honeybeedoors @Jennifercsuf
    @ Fonzieholly has been flagged and several of their posts have been deleted. Seems like this poster bares a remarkable resemblance to another poster that was discouraging students to not appeal or opt out of the UCSB waitlist.

Reposting waitlist stats for the last few years just as an FYI:
    2019 stats:
    Waitlist offers: 12,859
    Waitlist opt-ins: 7,576
    Waitlist admits: 4,686

2018 Data:
    Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 12,504
    Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 7,453
    Number of wait-listed students admitted :149

2017 Data:
    Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list:10,378
    Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 6038
    Number of wait-listed students admitted: 2236
    Is your waiting list ranked? No

2016 Data:
    Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 9983
    Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 5707
    Number of wait-listed students admitted: 4097
    Is your waiting list ranked? No
    edited May 10
    Post edited by Gumbymom on
    · Reply · Share
    Last night my son declined his offer of admission (from the waitlist). Good luck to all those waiting for a second round.
    · Reply · Share
  • DeseanJackson10DeseanJackson10 9 replies0 threads New Member
    When will the second wave release?
    · Reply · Share
  • YesEdYesEd 17 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Based on last year’s posts, there were 7-8 business days between waves, so likely tomorrow or Thursday.

2019 UCSC waitlist acceptances went out:
    5/10
    5/21&22 (7&8 bus days between)
    5/31 (7 bus days between)

Leading me to think this year will be:
    5/4 (first wave confirmed date)
    5/13or14
    5/22or25

However, we do not know how many waves there will be and if admissions will follow their 2019 pattern. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • momenormomenor 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi again! I got off the waitlist at 3:30PM PT for Film and Digital Media! Good luck everyone else :)
    · Reply · Share
  • YesEdYesEd 17 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My son got accepted off of the waitlist today around 3:45pm. He checked the portal. There was no email notification. He had an appeal denied in April that may have helped.

3.6 or 3.7 GPA
    1290 SAT
    Tons of ECs
    Anthropology major

Good luck to everyone waiting!
    · Reply · Share
  • bellaevensonbellaevenson 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Just got off the waitlist at 4:33 PM on Wednesday, May 13. 3.9 GPA, 1380 SAT, psychology major.
    · Reply · Share
  • sparksabotsparksabot 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Hey! Also just got off the waitlist today, I checked portal earlier, but just got an e-mail around 4:33pm.

Major: Business Management Economics
    GPA: 3.8
    SAT: 1300
    Decent EC's, Ok Essays

Congrats to everyone above me and below me and don't forget to send your LOCI's next wave!
    · Reply · Share
  • georginastewartgeorginastewart 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Just got off the waitlist!!!! I had SAT 1090 and 4.07 GPA.
    · Reply · Share
  • LiamboyLiamboy 49 replies6 threads Junior Member
    I got off the waitlist gpa 3.59w 1270sat
    · Reply · Share
  • DeseanJackson10DeseanJackson10 9 replies0 threads New Member
    I’m stressed about this waitlist. I understand that there is most likely a third wave but I can’t help but wonder if I haven’t gotten now then I won’t later. I have a 3.6 gpa and 1100 sat. Applied for Psychology
    · Reply · Share
  • alextraxalextrax 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Also got off the waitlist today, about a 3.5/3.6 GPA, 28 ACT, going into psychology.
    · Reply · Share
  • mohoover99mohoover99 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Does anyone know if there's a different wait list for transfers vs. freshman? I am a transfer student waitlisted for bio/ biochemistry, and have not seen any comments here being accepted as a transfer
    · Reply · Share
  • ecookieecookie 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi! Got off the waitlist today around 4:00.
    Unweighted GPA: 3.15
    SAT Math: 600 English: 750
    Major: Linguistics
    · Reply · Share
  • tommyershavredegracetommyershavredegrace 4 replies0 threads New Member
    mohoover99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a different wait list for transfers vs. freshman? I am a transfer student waitlisted for bio/ biochemistry, and have not seen any comments here being accepted as a transfer

I'm wondering that too. I'm a transfer. Can people who got in off of the waitlist let us know if you're freshman or transfer applicants? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • kpink1743kpink1743 3 replies0 threads New Member
    I got off of the waitlist today, 5/13, at 4:30pm.

GPA: 3.6
    UC GPA: 3.5
    SAT: 1210
    Major: Human Biology
    Lots of EC's and decent essays
    · Reply · Share
  • cpappiscpappis 1 replies0 threads New Member
    I just got off the waitlist!! Cog Sci major. 3.3 GPA and 1260 SAT. Plus a bunch of ECs and 500+ community service hours. I submitted an appeal which was rejected and also sent in a letter of continued interest. Super excited to attend and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
    · Reply · Share