Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Off campus apartments: Which are safe/nice?

Replies to: Off campus apartments: Which are safe/nice?

• aentaent Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    While Sterling is only 270 apartments (housing about 770 students), another thing to consider over there is once this phase is opened, they plan to build a total of 781 apartments housing 2,734 students. I don't know if they plan to start the next phase immediately, but if they do, you'll be living right next to a construction site the entire time, and if they don't you'll be living right next to a dirt mount. They do seem to only work during the day so it probably shouldn't be too bad, but I would request to be on the south or west side of the building if you can to avoid noise related to that construction.
  • JerseyShoreMomJerseyShoreMom Registered User Posts: 964 Member
    D and 3 of her girlfriends are going to look at a 4/2 apartment at Northgate Lakes today. Since they are all really close friends, they don't mind sharing bathrooms. They are so excited to move off campus in Fall 2010 and into their "own" apartment.
  • missingcraniummissingcranium Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Is not safe even with the security. Apts are broken into, fights are in the parking lot, pkgs never arrive to the apts of your children.... do a google or bing search and read the comments of the students - kids who have lived there. It has NOT changed.... my child was exposed to alot and had a roommate held up at gun point at the apt door.
  • missingcraniummissingcranium Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    IT IS NOT SAFE. constant breakins with knives and guns even now. do a google search and read the NEWS PAPER online. This happened to my child there. The mgt is not cooperative in addressing issues and working with a parent. There are fights in the parking lot, kids held up at gunpoint at their apt door....My pkgs to my child never made it to the apt - made it to the complex though.... it is a warzone that looks nice.
  • seodonnell3seodonnell3 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    any new info about Pegasus Pointe, we toure last weekend and noted a security gate and very nice grounds...seemed safe as most other apartments we looked at..liked the fact it was UCF affiliated...any new info as of this last semestr anyone could share?
  • JerseyShoreMomJerseyShoreMom Registered User Posts: 964 Member
    My D and 3 friends went to Northgate Lakes and liked the close proximity to the campus. We still are undecided as to whether to get a car for so it is comforting to know that she could always walk to campus if need be. They signed leases and will move in August. We are going down next month for a visit and will look at the place.
  • zebeszebes Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    jerseyshoremom,

Yes, they can walk to campus. In fact, it's IDEAL for game days as a large group of people are walking along that area before and after the games. It's great so the students don't have to struggle finding parking on campus for the game and police keep others out of northgate lakes so the residents' parking is not compromised. Also, the shuttle is quite good and regular. My s has been taking it in on days he doesn't have early classes in the morning because parking on campus is more difficult to find later in the day. Other than him not paying attention one day coming back to NG when he got on the wrong shuttle, LOL, he's had absolutley no difficulty riding it.

zebes
  • livelaughlove12livelaughlove12 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Does jefferson village have a security gate? Because, when i visited the location I did not see one
  • FrmDrters2KnightFrmDrters2Knight Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    not that i kno of..i really like jefferson village and the edge..but when we were leaving the edge a mouse ran right in front of us so that went out the window. but ive been going back to jefferson village for a while now trying to decide if i like it and i havent seen a security gate at all..just a bunch of ridiculously placed speed bumps
  • jswdlwjswdlw Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    Has anyone seen the model for Sterling? I see their prices for a 2/2 is 775 and that is all inclusive. My S and his friend are extremely interested in this place because of the fact that they can walk right across the road and be at the university.

Any other suggestions for a 2/1 or 2/2? He is currently at The Lofts and hates his room mates. At first he was moving home and now his friend who is in the Towers doesnt want to be there anymore due to various reasons.

So right now its The Lofts and Sterling.
  • sambbysambby Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    jswdlw, you won't get a spot in sterling. me and my friend were on the waiting list for a 2/2 for a month and they still didn't try to contact us so we just signed at The Edge.

sterling is really nice but the service sucked! the girls that worked in the leasing office were all students who didn't know how to do anything.
  • gatormommagatormomma Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    For the person who was inquiring about Arden Villas, DO NOT rent at Arden Villas.

Drive through on weekends and you will see garbage everywhere. Throw up left in hallways and a mess. Not a great place to live at all. We moved by daughter out of there within a few months.

Polo's East is another apartment complex that is run by the same company. She just moved out after living there for 1 year and 10 months because she graduated in May. Never had a problem. If something goes wrong, they were always very quick to fix it. Nice pool area and gym. The community is made up of families, adults and college students so it's not as crazy as many other complexes.
  • alongwaitalongwait Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    we've already had problems with the the girls in the office at sterling as well. hopefully it is because it is still being built and very unorganized. they closed the office for 2 weeks to move to a new location and no one has been able to get anything done for us over there. frustrating!
  • UCFlivinginfoUCFlivinginfo Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hey everyone, I'm in an interesting situation. I am engaged and both my fiance and I are looking for and affordable and safe living arrangement to go to UCF. We've looked at several apartments that seemed pretty decent but were 15mins plus from UCF. The main problem I am having with student off campus housing is most would charge us each separately for rent, when we would be living together and sharing a room. Does anyone know of any cheap apartments that are either 1 bedroom 1 bath or a off campus living that allows for the two of us to share one room without paying twice for rent. thanks
  • SoFloKnightSoFloKnight Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    This thread is awesome! got so much good info from people who actually lived in some of these places. I was actually considering some of these communities but now im going to be way more careful with my selection. Tnx guys!
This discussion has been closed.