Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Easiest HUM core?

weeeeeeweeeeee Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
edited September 2010 in University of Chicago
What do you guys think is the easiest HUM core?
Post edited by weeeeee on

Replies to: Easiest HUM core?

• phurikuphuriku Registered User Posts: 2,779 Senior Member
    Not the question you should be asking.
  • jackiefjackief Registered User Posts: 3,084 Senior Member
    ha ha good answer phuriku. My D went to the bookstore to see the books each class was using and has her preferences set from that info.
  • haavainhaavain Registered User Posts: 794 Member
    You should try Phil Per or Greek Thought & Lit--I hear they're pretty slackerly classes :)
  • DaggermanDaggerman Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    No HUM sequence is more conceptually challenging than any other; whether a section is more "difficult" than another depends mostly on the person teaching the class and the amount of reading/writing he/she assigns. Further, I don't think any sequence on average assigns more work than any other e.g., the "average" Phil Per section will require about the same amount of work as the "average" HBC section.

With that said, seeking the easiest HUM sequence isn't a very admirable way of selecting your course schedule. I understand that you want good grades and are perhaps nervous going into your first quarter here, but I would really encourage you to ask specific questions about the sequences and determine which you would be most interested in. As a general rule, students tend to do best when they enjoy what they're doing, so always try to take classes you know/think you'll like. If you think you'd like the "easiest" class most by virtue of its being the easiest, then that's an entirely separate issue.

And remember, if you a dissatisfied with a class after a couple meetings, you can usually switch into another one with little hassle.
  • J'adoubeJ'adoube Registered User Posts: 2,133 Senior Member
    S1's main complaint in those classes were not about being easy or hard but about the people that had nothing to say or ran out of things to say after two weeks. Beware of the attitude you take into the class: he's had less success getting an A in the "easy" classes than in the difficult ones.
This discussion has been closed.