Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are your academic interests?

MyselfMyself Registered User Posts: 367 Member
edited February 2006 in University of Chicago
I was just wondering what everybody's interests are, as in potential majors, favorite subject's, etc. I'm personally interested in creative writing, and possibly neuroscience. I would love to be an author/writer, and so far I have written a 21,500 word, 104 page novelette, and various shorter pieces. One of the reasons I'm attracted to Chicago is its rigorous core - I think that for me to become a more effective writer I need a bigger knowledge base, and a broader understanding of the progression of humanity, and what defines us as essentially human. Any thoughts?
Post edited by Myself on

Replies to: What are your academic interests?

• meestasimeestasi Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    I love everything that has to do with learning. Chicago's professors are supposed to be awesome teachers and if they can engage me in any academic subject, then I'll as happy as a fish in a pool of water. But my strengths like int eh sciences and math, however I'm also quite interested in history and the classics along with music. Heck, if they had a major in ultimate frisbee, I'd totally go for that.
  • Studio27Studio27 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    umm, i love finance (and the prospects of various ways of making money in general), sciences are great, chemistry, theoretical physics. not so much math, but it's useful and i seem to be pretty okay at it. gotta love nutrition & kinesiology too
  • JackBauerPowerHourJackBauerPowerHour Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    Law! Philosophy! Literature, Sociology, Ecomomics, and History.
  • scrapiron215scrapiron215 Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    Scrabble. I definitely plan to double major in scrabble and movie watching.

But really let's see: American History, Classics, Phiosophy, Biology, any subject ending in y. Oh and English.
    I hate physics and I didn't like Chemisty either.
  • spirited awayspirited away . Posts: 998 Member
    I have interests in neuroscience too - however it's called biopsychology at Chicago.

Mmm.... I've been dabbling in linguistics and enjoy just about everything... :rolleyes:
  • rhapsodynshadowrhapsodynshadow Registered User Posts: 376 Member
    anything involving music. That includes all forms of languages and writing. And law. And of course actual music performance. And just about anything else. My favorite part of education isn't the disciplines themselves but the grey area between them and the connections that can get drawn between them. For example I'm working on a research paper about the modern novel Disgrace by JM Coetzee and how it relates to the history of south africa and the Romantic period of literature. It's fascinating!!!
  • Christine123Christine123 Registered User Posts: 1,227 Senior Member
    political science and mathematics
  • matt_hubrismatt_hubris Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    your mom!

-economics, linguistics, philosophy = top 3
  • IHSIHS Registered User Posts: 812 Member
    neuroscience(biopsychology) as a major and economics as a minor..
  • bobbobbobbobbobbob Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    economics, biology, history, poli sci
  • EsquaredEsquared Registered User Posts: 2,155 Senior Member
    pyschology, political science, being sexy
  • C-RevsC-Revs Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    Economics, Public Policy and Finance
  • kauliekaulie Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    econ, international studies, public policy/polisci for possible majors

all the above plus english, french, psychology, history, biology, and art history as favorite subjects
  • jjjjjjjjjj Registered User Posts: 490 Member
    Economics.......its Univ Of Chicago, Baby!
  • brooke_ubrooke_u Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    math, economics
This discussion has been closed.