Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any accepted EA'ers get a merit scholarship this month?

CaptainKrunchCaptainKrunch Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
edited March 2013 in University of Chicago
Have any of the accepted EA'ers gotten an update to their UChicago account regarding merit scholarships yet?
Post edited by CaptainKrunch on

Replies to: Any accepted EA'ers get a merit scholarship this month?

• TheWimpyRamboTheWimpyRambo Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I got a full tuition merit scholarship... But that was posted the same day that I got acceptance, so I don't know how it works.
  • CaptainKrunchCaptainKrunch Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Sorry if I was unclear: I meant has anyone gotten a merit award and update this month of January? I'm still holding out hope for a scholarship since the committee meets monthly, but I didn't recieve one in December.

And congrats on the full tuition scholarship, TheWimpyRambow! That's awesome.
  • magentaturtlemagentaturtle Registered User Posts: 1,138 Senior Member
    I have not gotten anything. I would think that it'd come at the end of the month if it does.
  • tarmirieltarmiriel Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    I got 10k on Wednesday. I sent something pretty specific in for consideration the week before, though, so that might've been why.
  • franstarfranstar Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    You are supposed to send stuff in to get merit? What did you send?
  • tarmirieltarmiriel Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    I don't think you're supposed to. It was just research that I had done but that wasn't graded by the time apps were due, so I asked if I could send it in for consideration. I have absolutely no idea if that's what did it.
  • runswimrunrunswimrun Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Full tution? Everything I've seen says merit aid comes in 5,10 and 15,000 amounts.

I think he's talking fin aid.

I got my fin aid package about a week ago and didn't see any merit. I checked with my admin. couns. and they said some merit decisions are not made until March or later. Mine was also delayed because we didn't turn in the css until Jan 2.

Hangin there its coming (fingers crossed).
  • GoodDaddyGoodDaddy Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    runswimrun, I heard there are 20-25 students receiving full tuition merit scholarship. The merits UChicago is looking are "outstanding academic and extracurricular achievement, demonstrated leadership, and commitment to their communities".
  • runswimrunrunswimrun Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Did not know that. So are those athletic scholarships in disguise?
  • idadidad Registered User Posts: 5,027 Senior Member
    The full tuition awards have nothing to do with athletics, 10 are reserved for students from the city of Chicago.
  • Canadian112Canadian112 Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    So for Merit Scholarships, you do not have to apply for it or send anything.
    They just give you if you are qualified?
  • TheWimpyRamboTheWimpyRambo Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Yes, idad is correct. I'm a student from a Chicago Public Schools high school. That's how I got the full tuition, so I have no idea how it works for anyone else.
    I just recently found out the full tuition was only for CPS students.
  • franstarfranstar Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    Anybody with any updates?
  • GoodDaddyGoodDaddy Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    S just received a update email about 5K University Scholarship Merit Award. So, we're excited! One question is whether this merit award will replace some of his need-based school grant?
  • CrsPrntCrsPrnt Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    My Daughter received an email notification today with a link to the web portal. On the portal there was a link to a letter that informed her of a $5K per year scholarship.
This discussion has been closed.