Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Thoughts about Chicago creating an Engineering School?

123457»

Replies to: Thoughts about Chicago creating an Engineering School?

• UMTYMP studentUMTYMP student Registered User Posts: 949 Member
    Anyone who thinks Chicago is going to surpass HYPSMC anytime in the near future is being wildly overoptimistic. I think it's pretty hard to see how any one school could become truly dominant in the US in the short or midterm future either. I don't think Chicago having an engineering school would change that though. It's possible that if Chicago had an engineering school it would have a more solid claim that HYPSMC should be HYPSMCC but my guess is that Chicago becoming a top 7 school is mostly unrelated to its success in starting any sort of engineering.
  • TheBankerTheBanker Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    Sorry, I went on a bit of a tangent. And I actually meant "join" HYPSM, not surpass it. Bad wording on my part. I am just saying that we should be more cautious and not be blinded by all the good news from the admissions office. The lack of an engineering school is part of a larger problem with the university (which is being addressed now, thankfully, albeit late).
  • theluckystartheluckystar Registered User Posts: 248 Junior Member
    @Post#91: "Outside of academia, its most recent graduates are still nowhere as impressive compared to graduates from Columbia, Duke, and Dartmouth."

Just off the top of my head,

Evan Sharp, a recent Chicago alum, is a co-founder of Pinterest whose company recently secured a Series D round funding of $200 million on a $2.5 billion valuation. I'd say it's not too shabby for a young Chicago alum. By the way, I don't believe Evan Sharp got an engineering degree, but he managed to become a co-founder of one of the fastest growing social networking companies in history. Exclusive: Pinterest Complete $200M Funding at $2.5B Valuation - Kara Swisher - Commerce - AllThingsD

Nate Silver, a Chicago alum, who did petty well on the latest Presidential Election forecast. Nate Silver-Led Statistics Men Crush Pundits in Election - Businessweek
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-chicago/1413513-uchicago-alum-nate-silver-has-media-buzzing.html
  • FStratfordFStratford Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    UChicago doesn't have to "overcome" HYPSM. All it has to do is be the best among the rest, plus be the undisputed best at a couple more things that HYPMS doesn't do by a mile. It already has Econ and Physics. This molecular engineering effort will take it to the top if it is successful.

It's why Stanford did with CS. it didn't set out to topple MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley or Caltech or
    It just equaled them. But since it had prior pluses in non CS fields, the fact that it was on par with Berkeley, MIT, Caltech and Carnegie Mellon in CS was enough.
    It's a difficult undertaking but if it only succeeds mildly, and not spectacularly - UChicago will end up a solid top 5-10 school.

That's not nothing.
  • gravitas2gravitas2 Registered User Posts: 1,474 Senior Member
    Bumped for Kalorama since my attempt to attach this thread did not work for the other thread.
123457»
This discussion has been closed.