right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

University of Chicago Admissions' statistics

TrinityTrinity 1411 replies345 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
edited January 2014 in University of Chicago
This the place to post the officially released admissions' statistics. With an official representative on the forum, the statistics should be forthcoming as soon as the University deems such information worthy of full disclosure.

What is known so far is that more than 11,000 students (11,143) filed an Non Restrictive Early Application. The full details should be added here shortly.

Early action applications set another record, continue yearly rise ? The Chicago Maroon
edited January 2014
380 replies
Post edited by Trinity on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: University of Chicago Admissions' statistics

• SkyriorSkyrior 371 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 392 Member
    Wow, from 3777 to 11143...
    · Reply · Share
  • ecamposnecamposn 3 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Nice marketing effort. All those t-shirts paid off.
    · Reply · Share
  • DanielHendrycksDanielHendrycks 74 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    ecamposn wrote:
    All those t-shirts paid off.
    What t-shirt? I was accepted, and I don't have a t-shirt.
    · Reply · Share
  • xiggixiggi 24571 replies872 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25,443 Senior Member
    https://blogs.uchicago.edu/collegeadmissions/2013/12/class_of_2018_early_action_dec.html

Cool. All that is missing is the ... number of successful applicants. And perhaps a link to that elusive Common Data Set. Who will be the last to release. Columbia or Chicago. ;)
    · Reply · Share
    So weird looking at the EA decision thread. Tons of accepted lol. It's like 70% or something of applicants from CC got into UChicago....... wut.

Even with self-selectivity, the not-wanting-to-post-if-deferred/rejected psychology and blablabla, I didn't expect so many ACCEPT....
    · Reply · Share
  • Dad2013Dad2013 436 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 451 Member
    Non-binding EA is a good strategy to get more applicants different from SCEA or ED of prestigious colleges. It was one of factors my daughter did EA to U Chicago. I love U Chicago, anyway.
    · Reply · Share
  • renoverchatrenoverchat 521 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 531 Member
    @Skyrior

If you read the 2018 EA thread, most people wrote that they got deferred (including me, lol). I assume that they're just not posting stats on the Results page since that'd be pretty depressing to fill out.
    · Reply · Share
    @renoverchat

I see, I did not check the mega-thread at the time of posting of #6. Good luck though! Hope that you will get accepted! (Don't forget to indicate to UChicago that you're still interested!)
    · Reply · Share
  • xiggixiggi 24571 replies872 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25,443 Senior Member
    The silence from the adcoms is ... deafening. Old habits rarely die.
    · Reply · Share
  • headed2greatheaded2great 343 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 384 Member
    Question: if an applicant was deferred EA, does it indicate that on his or her RD application?
    · Reply · Share
    It appears that Chicago admitted well over 1,300 students in the EA round.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dad2013Dad2013 436 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 451 Member
    ~1,300/11,143 is about ~12% acceptance rate much lower than Harvard (~21%) and other colleges in EA/ED round.
    · Reply · Share
  • JCCsMomJCCsMom 232 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    Yes they certainly did a huge marketing blitz! My son got something from them every week and sometimes twice a week, including the t-shirt. He didn't apply since they don't have his major, but was impressed with all the stuff they sent.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhg3rdrhg3rd 941 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 947 Member
    "...And perhaps a link to that elusive Common Data Set. Who will be the last to release. Columbia or Chicago."

DITTO
    · Reply · Share
    ~1,300/11,143 is about ~12% acceptance rate much lower than Harvard (~21%) and other colleges in EA/ED round.

Different animals altogether! The non-binding EA attracts plenty of "what I got to lose" applications. Here's a more interesting element:

Try the percentage of the expected class that was admitted in the early round:

Harvard? 922 for 1700 seats. In the past two years, 895 for 1700 and 772 for 1,670.

Chicago? 1350 for an expected class of 1350? Or about 100 percent? The last two years were about 1380 for 1350 and 1532 for 1,350 seats.

The resident adcom should feel free to correct the numbers, if they happen to be erroneous. Not waiting with bated breath for that to happen anytime soon!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity