Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UChicago Merit Scholarship

13»

Replies to: UChicago Merit Scholarship

• elmejor21elmejor21 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    @liecdre They often use "merit aid" as a means of getting kids to commit rather than rewarding true merit. Such was the case with me as finances were a barrier to my attending. Nondorf worked directly with me and gave me a merit scholarship on top of my financial aid. I'm pretty sure it's easier to get these scholarships if you apply EA or RD because that gives you the leverage as they want to maintain high yield. Obviously that makes it harder to get accepted, but if you want financial leverage it's the way to go
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,306 Senior Member
    edited September 14
    @elmejor21 is correct, and that is the dilemma, as the RD dropped to around 2% with the addition of ED1/2. Personally I encourages my DD to apply for outside scholarships because I didn't think they would offer merit aid after being accepted ED. She was able to reduce her tuition bill with the outside scholarships, but UChicago reduces the grant as an even split with the scholarships. IOWs they take half of the outside scholarship money.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 2,671 Senior Member
    @CU123 so outside scholarships are not stackable? That's good for people to know. NM was stackable and I thought at least UChicago merit aid is as well.

Best for anyone with these questions to check out their website. Also, there's a bit of a timing glitch in that FA sets its policies for the upcoming academic year in the midst of - or perhaps at the end of - application season. So whatever you read now might change by the time you are getting your FA package. Best just to keep up with the FA office guidelines throughout winter and spring.
    Yes, outside scholarships are a 50/50 split and if it comes from UChicago then it's stackable. So if an outside scholarship is $4k then you get $2k and the other $2k is applied to the grant. This split occurs until the grant is wiped out and then of course you would receive the entire benefit of the scholarship.
  • kaukaunakaukauna Registered User Posts: 1,051 Senior Member
    ^^You know that wasn't my experience. My son got a National Merit, a UChicago merit, then late in the game, just before bills for the 1st quarter were to be paid, my son received a scholarship through my company. I called the aid office and they said not to worry, that none of the other scholarships would be reduced. Maybe that's because it was late in game and the company scholarship was only $3k.
    edited September 14
    Not for me, they just changed it, to reflect the 50/50 split. Of course that is for this year....

I guess it's not too bad, there are schools that take 100%.
  • liecdreliecdre Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Yeah, even at a 50/50 split, you can still try and get close to covering most of the costs.

Thanks!
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 2,671 Senior Member
    @kaukauna is your son class of 2021 or prior? FA told me that everyone needs to read the guidelines that are in place when they matriculate. If they make a subsequent change (say, reducing the amount of NM merit aid or whether certain scholarships are stacked), that will apply to future classes. From what I understand, a lot of changes were made for the class of 2021 and beyond. Not entirely sure about this but it looks like they might be shifting away from merit aid and toward meeting need.
  • kaukaunakaukauna Registered User Posts: 1,051 Senior Member
    JBStillFlying: My son is Class of 2017. You are right, lots of changes could be occurring. But I wanted to relate this experience, for what it's worth.
13»