Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tips for June Convocation/Logistics

2»

Replies to: Tips for June Convocation/Logistics

• kaukaunakaukauna Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    runnersmom - Thanks for your input. You say get to Rockefeller early for back. How early would you say? 1 hour? 2 hour? More? Thanks.
    Oh, and enjoy the LS graduation. You must have a very accomplished son/daughter.
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,338 Senior Member
    We were first in line at the Chapel at around 12, it was open to the public then and could not line up until about 1pm when they closed the door for the Ceremony. Anyway, it was real enjoyment to wait that long, because the people around us all got to know each other.

I guess premed is not popular there, because none of the people we talked to at the Chapel was like D.
  • runnersmomrunnersmom Registered User Posts: 2,029 Senior Member
    kaukauna, I agree with artloversplus that you want to be there at least 1-2 hours before the Bacc (or at least an hour before they say the doors will open). For the first we got there an hour early (not from doors, but from ceremony) and were able to squeeze into one the last pews in the back. Four years later we knew better and were able to sit where we wanted....but it was a long wait on the hard benches....and it was hot! The sacrifices we make for our kids...just kidding! Difference, too, was class size - my Class of 2009 son's class had probably 200 kids less than my 2011 daughter's. We're looking forward to the law school graduation and just found out our niece may be attending Chicago for a 1-year master's as well, so we'll have a double graduation in 2016! Very exciting.
  • tjdad2011tjdad2011 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    At the local high school the baccalaureate had religious overtones that I was uncomfortable with. Is that the case fro the U of C baccalaureate?
    Baccalaureate:
    a religious service held at some educational institutions before commencement, containing a farewell sermon to the graduating class.
    Religious? yes, a little bit, but we were covered in joy and really did not mind some religious songs and remarks etc.

Here is the 2014 program
    Prelude
    processional
    opening remarks
    presentation of the class tile
    dance interlude
    senior memories and photos
    musical interlude
    remains of education address(by a bio professor)
    sending forth
    alumni pinning
    singing of the alma mater
    closing remarks
    postlude
  • motherbear332motherbear332 Registered User Posts: 797 Member
    If I recall correctly, the religious parts were brief segments of the program where students prayed or sang in their own faith tradition. There was diversity, and nothing that one would call a sermon.
  • -CS-CS Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    Baccalaureate ceremony (as a student that had many friends that performed in it) was awesome. I highly recommend going (and getting in line ~1.5 hours early to get a decent seat). My parents enjoyed this more than Saturday's events (except maybe the 10 seconds when I walked across the stage).

Night at MSI was pretty boring for my family. I think they all left after being there for 30 minutes (except for my aunt who wanted a picture of me on stage as I had helped out with the class gift committee but left after that happened). I enjoyed hanging out with my friends.

Day of, don't worry too much about getting a good seat in the morning. During lunch, all the graduate schools leave to go to their respective ceremonies which means you can get a MUCH better seat for the afternoon.

Another recommendation is getting your after-graduation dinner plans booked early! A lot of places (especially if you have a larger party) will book up early. And you'll want to leave a good amount of time after the ceremony and your dinner reservation as there are receptions that follow which I ended up wanting to stay at a lot longer than I would have guessed.
    Chicago is a large city, for after graduation dinner party, you just do not book restaurants in Hyde Park. We booked a table of 10 in a restaurant 30 min from the campus and there was no problem at all.
    Oh, wasn't trying to say it will be hard to get a reservation. I just wouldn't leave it until the last minute if there is a specific place you want to go. And I definitely recommend going downtown. I was sick of Hyde Park restaurants after eating at them for 4 years (though I miss the Snail and the Med now that I don't live in Chicago).
    ^^ Don't you miss the noodle house as well?
    Nah. Noodles is definitely replaceable (along with Cedars, Pizza Capri, and The Sit Down -- the 6 places I went to most often).

But I miss the Snail's bangkok chicken and Medici's thin-crust spinach and goat cheese pizza because I haven't found anything like either anywhere else.
2»
This discussion has been closed.