right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Best House Shirt Slogans?

biochemnerd123biochemnerd123 18 replies24 threads Junior Member
I heard that one of the universal house traditions is to sell shirts with the best self-demeaning slogans... what are some good ones besides "where fun goes to die"?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best House Shirt Slogans?

• kaukaunakaukauna 1202 replies16 threads Senior Member
    I like this one which is from the Yale board: "Our group of randomly selected students is better than your randomly selected group of students."
    · Reply · Share
  • ihs76ihs76 1769 replies97 threads Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    One of the better known ones from my day was

"Upper Flint (?), where men and women copopulate"

BTW, 'self demeaning' was not part of the picture for house t-shirts.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • ttm321ttm321 59 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Don't know the houses but I've heard of the following t-shirts:

If I wanted an A I would have gone to Harvard

And my favorite:

That is all very good in practice, but what about in theory?

· Reply · Share
  • Cue7Cue7 2724 replies119 threads Senior Member
    Some good general ones from back in the day, that I saw on t shirts from time to time:

The University of Chicago: the level of hell that Dante forgot.

Dating at the U of C: the odds are good but the goods are odd.

The University of Chicago: where the only thing that goes down on you is your gpa.

Dating at the U of C: where the squirrels are more aggressive than the guys.

The University of Chicago: proof that hell has frozen over.

Snell Hitchcock house motto: deformed but useful.

I imagine with the newer bubblier students, many of the above slogans have been phased out. (Except maybe the one about Snell Hitchcock.)
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18503 replies72 threads Senior Member
    If it were easy, it would be your mom.

Also, from a (short-lived, I believe) S&M club: The University of Chicago: Whip me, chain me, make me read The Iliad

A story about the GPA one: My son had that t-shirt, and loved it. He was wearing it one morning when we were on vacation, having breakfast in an outdoor cafe at a hotel. A very smart, very personable 10-year-old girl we had met the night before marched up to him, eyes wide, and said, "How can you wear that shirt? It's terrible! That's a bad thing to say! You shouldn't be wearing something like that in public." Her slightly older brother was trailing behind her, and his face was all screwed up with confusion. Finally, he said, "I don't get it. What does it mean? What's wrong with the shirt?" The girl flushed bright red and said, "You have to ask Mom." And stomped away. My son stopped wearing the shirt anywhere smart little girls might see it.
    · Reply · Share
    ^^^ That's hilarious. As a mom, I appreciate the 'ask Mom,' not 'ask Dad.'
    · Reply · Share
  • HydeSnarkHydeSnark 932 replies14 threads Member
    "I really like it here"

Hilarious to students but no one else gets it
    · Reply · Share
  • momzhoodmomzhood 222 replies3 threads Junior Member
    So glad this thread came up - my D just graduated from UChicago and I already miss it (ink on the diploma not even dry yet). Funny how this popped up on my phone and it didn't id UChicago, but when I saw "biochemnerd" and "house shirt slogans", I knew what it was about. Thanks for resurrecting these slogans. Love that college and will miss visiting it.
    · Reply · Share
    @momzhood, DD hasn't even started yet. However, having had one go through college already, I know too well how fast it goes. I'm getting sad already about her finishing in 4 years...
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity