Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UChicago holds third place with Yale in 2018 USNWR ranking

ChrchillChrchill Registered User Posts: 902 Member
Looks like the ED/EDII and low RD did not produce the calamity expected by several folks here ...

Replies to: UChicago holds third place with Yale in 2018 USNWR ranking

• Cue7Cue7 Registered User Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    edited September 12
    @Chrchill - US News uses old data - so their selectivity data for the newest ranking uses 15-16 data, not 16-17 data (which, btw, UChicago hasn't even released yet).

Also, Chicago's new admissions rules are bad from a policy standpoint, but great for rankings. ED/EDII allows the school to lock in even more high scoring candidates who are in the top 10% of their HS class. US News loves that. So, this admissions move should only help, not hinder, their ranking.

This admissions move also puts Chicago in the infamous camp of being the most unabashedly self-interested college out there. It will squeeze the last few drops of talent out of the well, no matter the cost to applicants at large.

Once it looked like U of Penn or Wash U were bad - but they don't hold a candle to Chicago any more!
  • Cue7Cue7 Registered User Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    @pupflier - the correct answer is UChicago is great and not great!

(And this thread really should be in the Chicago-specific forum.)
  • 1Tiger211Tiger21 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    Looks like Princeton is holding as the #1 undergraduate University and well deserved. I think University of Chicago is great although they are killers of hopes (waitlists everyone) and trees ( I never want to see a brochure from them again).
  • ChrchillChrchill Registered User Posts: 902 Member
    @Cue7 If the end is grand enough, it justifies the means ...
  • CariñoCariño Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    @Chrchill Absolutely.....
    And besides the rankings, I am truly amazed at the welcoming process to UChicago. My daughter got her first choice for her dorm, first choices on 3 out of the 4 subjects she requested, an incredibly convenient schedule, a warm letter from her Resident Deans....a super generous scholarship... She cannot wait to be there. She is happy and excited. What more can we ask for?
    And.....this amazing place is ranked number 3!
    It is what it is @Cue7 .
    @ThankYouforHelp I would love to thank you for your help. I t should not have had its own threat. Mea culpa. I dont't know how to post these things correctly. So you could move it to UChicago thread, wherever that is. I will thank you ...
    @ThankYouforHelp I did enjoy your psychoanalysis #7 :) ! Well done.
    @ThankYouforHelp Also University of Cambridge man -- If you want to be precise.
  • f2000saf2000sa Registered User Posts: 729 Member
    edited September 12
    Chicago is the best in terms of improving its ranking. It raised its ranking from 9th in 2011, to 3rd in 2017.

http://publicuniversityhonors.com/2015/06/13/u-s-news-national-university-rankings-2008-present/

• marlowe1marlowe1 Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    @ThankYouforHelp is also to be thanked for his Tipsheet on our two beloved idiosyncratic combatants. It should be a lesson to us all: Keep your fights (er, differences of opinion) intramural or face exposure!
    @Cue7 I miss you ....
  • kaukaunakaukauna Registered User Posts: 1,040 Senior Member
    Right on Cue, Chrchill will never surrender!