Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UChicago Accepted Class of 2022

astrofanastrofan Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
Decided to start this thread so that the accepted students can start discussing queries, doubts etc. regarding what happens after being accepted and the process etc.

It would also be great if current students or other people can post their "latest" views on the various dorms etc. that will help all of us to select the right dorms?

Replies to: UChicago Accepted Class of 2022

• astrofanastrofan Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Can someone please give views and the merits and demerits of being in Snell-Hitchcock Hall and Campus North Residential Commons?
    I know that there are many similar posts, but it would be great if it can all be in one place over here
  • beast2718beast2718 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    is there an FB page for accepted students????
  • Birthday123Birthday123 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, guys, are you able to pay the enrollment deposit? I tried several different cards, none of which worked. It just says “Your payment was declined due to the following reason: DECLINE.” Does anyone else have this problem?
    Yes. I could pay the enrollment deposit. Try logging out and logging back in to pay. I had a similar problem while sending my ACT scores. and it worked. Try doing that.
  • Birthday123Birthday123 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    It works now. Thanks!
    Great!!
  • DunBoyerDunBoyer Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    Current student here.

Most people will be happy in any dorm. Stereotypes are stereotypes, and turnover can be upwards of 50% a year in some houses, so house/dorm culture can be difficult to predict. I would put must-have amenities ahead of house culture, because these things are known quantities - and I say this as someone who loves house culture.

If you're an athlete, you will probably want a dorm near the gyms - North/Max/Snitchcock. Walking half a mile there and back from B-J/South/I-House (or a mile if you're in Stony) isn't much fun in the winter.

AC (which B-J/Snitchcock don't have) is largely a nonfactor. 90% of days when you'd need AC occur outside the academic year. In the winter, housing cranks the thermostat waaay higher than it needs to be across the board (I actually have to crack open a window to stay cool in December) so the cold isn't a concern either.

None of the dorms have a direct connection to a dining hall, but the walk can be anywhere from 10 yards (South/North) to 1/2 a mile (I-House) or a full mile (Stony - this is why many Stony residents cook in their apartments). Snitchcock and B-J are somewhere in the middle - each less than a block from the nearest source of food.

North has dedicated study spaces, as does B-J; I'm not sure about other dorms, but the house lounge is always a possibility (albeit with a high risk of distractions).

Fraternities are mostly near North and Max, if you're into that kind of thing.

The CTA is most accessible from North (the 55 bus will take you to the Red/Green lines) or Stony (the #6 can get you downtown in 25-30 minutes). B-J and South have the 59, which can get you to the Garfield Red Line, but that only runs on weekdays for some reason. The 2 goes straight from B-J's door to the Mag Mile (again, only on weekdays) while the 171 and 172 ferry students from campus to stores on 55th and/or restaurants on 53rd during the day. The CTA is great in general - the U-Pass delivers more bang for your buck than anything else the University requires you to pay for.

If you want to go to a lot of trendy shops/restaurants, those are mostly up on 53rd Street, but the CTA and campus shuttles make the distance mostly a nonfactor. Woodlawn (the area south of the Midway on paper, and south of 61st Street in spirit) is relatively underserved by campus shuttles because A. there are fewer amenities in the area and B. the administration tries to keep Suspicious Black Males out of Hyde Park - poor nonwhite folks might scare parents or (more importantly) prospective parents. So living nearby is a better bet than shuttles if you're the activist type.
  • calebhscalebhs Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    What are the stereotypes of North's houses like? Are they too young to have developed one?
  • HydeSnarkHydeSnark Registered User Posts: 839 Member
    @calebhs Don't worry about individual house stereotypes. They change too often (even in Snitchcock and BJ) to matter and you don't get to choose your house.

North houses are uniformly pretty obsessed with Smash, though.
  • calebhscalebhs Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    If I want to stay away from partying are there any dorms/houses I should avoid?
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,952 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    (a) Even if you deposit now, you don't get to pick a house, just a dorm, so it's kind of useless to worry about the reputations of particular houses within a dorm.

(b) As @DunBoyer said, by the time you get there next fall, half the people (or more) who were in the house you are assigned to this year will be gone. And when you are a second year, if you stay in the house, 95% of the people will be people who were not there this year. And the current reputation of the house is probably still somewhat a hangover from people who were there last year but aren't there now; by spring the reputation will be different. Whatever the reputation of the house is this year, it will be changed by this time next year, changed more in 15 months, and utterly different 20 months from now. So even if your house assignment were something you could influence, it still wouldn't make sense to worry about it.

(c) At least historically, the foregoing isn't quite true of Snell and Hitchcock, although I think their brand has been getting diluted because of the appeal of the newer dorms.
    edited December 2017
    @calebhs I'm now fairly convinced that every dorm has uniform rates of people that enjoy partying (anyone that thinks BJ is party free should have been on a certain floor of a certain house on the Saturday of third week this year...oy vey) - and there are houses in North (supposedly the party dorm) where very few people party.

It's UChicago. Every dorm has fairly high rates of people that don't like to get wasted every weekend. If you don't want to party you're going to find people that don't want to party no matter where you're living.

Pick based on architecture/amenities/location etc. Want your own bathroom? Max. Want a single? BJ. Want the new dorm? North. and so on.
  • f77a9b82f77a9b82 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Does anyone know if the College gives preference on picking housing for legacy students? Would like to live in the same house as my dad who graduated about 30 years ago. Mainly for nostalgic reasons, nothing else.
This discussion has been closed.