Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Deferred from UChicago - good or bad?

skpa81skpa81 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I applied early action to UChicago and was deferred. I don't want to reapply early decision because I can't commit financially to any school, but it is my top choice. Is this a good sign that I was deferred and not straight up denied or do they defer most people? Does anyone know about how many people are accepted/denied/deferred in the first round? Also I got a 34 on my ACT and was accepted at Boston College early action - should I just commit to BC instead? Thanks for any feedback!!

Replies to: Deferred from UChicago - good or bad?

• VegasRollerVegasRoller Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    From what I've seen on here, 2% RD acceptance rate from the deferral pool. BC is a good college. My son was deferred too.
  • hope469hope469 Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    No need to commit this early! Wait and see what happens in March, and then make your decision.

And congratulations, BTW.
  • fivesagesfivesages Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Chances of getting into UChicago after being deferred are very slim at best. Don't yet commit to Boston College. You have time. Right now focus on expanding your list and applying to a few more colleges.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 467 Member
    I believe that U of C defers rather than outright rejects in order to encourage more applicants during ED2 and RD....which they will again reject, which drives up their selectivity stats. They have become masters at playing the rankings game.

In other words, being deferred shouldn't be taken as anything but a "soft" rejection.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 29,683 Super Moderator
    "I don't want to reapply early decision because I can't commit financially to any school"

There's no financial commitment when applying ED. If the ED FA offer is insufficient to support attendance, you tell the school thanks but no thanks and apply elsewhere.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,478 Senior Member
    On Dec 19, I'd think the ED train has left the station.

Deferral leaves the door open, you'll be freshly reviewed in RD. But it also allows you to open new doors, apply to other colleges.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 4,756 Senior Member
    "There's no financial commitment when applying ED. If the ED FA offer is insufficient to support attendance, you tell the school thanks but no thanks and apply elsewhere."

This is not exactly true. You are expected to withdraw your applications elsewhere and commit per the agreement. It really is for those who plan to attend if admitted. There is no "out" clause on the ED agreement. Talk to FA before you sign anything so that you have a good understanding of your potential contribution. Don't just send in a binding agreement thinking you are free to walk away from it.
  • dgibarradgibarra Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    Chicago ED1/EA is admit, defer, and deny. Deferred students show that they have potential, but weren't necessarily presenting themselves as good as they think these students can. Take the time to think if you are willing to try harder to prove your position, or if you already did your best maybe you aren't necessarily what they are looking for or maybe they aren't what you are looking for. I know students who were denied admissions with ACT of 30 and up, but that is because they didn't show how strong they are out of testing and GPA. They are looking for a whole package or someone above average with a really strong strength in a certain area in which they are lacking students. This decision takes a lot of reflection and thinking if you are willing to put yourself out there again in their application system.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 2,722 Senior Member
    @JBStillFlying I'm not sure about that as both of our DD were accepted ED2 last year I clearly remember having her wait for the FA package before accepting the offer of admittance. They do give you time to review the FA package and then decide if its enough. I imagine that there are some who decline the offer of admittance from the ED round. They gave us a couple of weeks to commit, which of course was before and RD admittances came out which is exactly what I would expect to happen.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 4,756 Senior Member
    @CU123 same here. Where did it say you get to decide whether it's enough? That's not the agreement we signed.

People are reading a bit too much into that clause of the agreement. While UChicago is undoubtedly generous in meeting need, that definition of "need" is based on their formulas and most likely will not match the FAFSA amount (so I was told by Fin. Aid) nor will it necessarily match a family's understanding of "need" or their personal threshold. People need to understand this fact. Nowhere in the contract does it say that a difference of opinion gets you out. You are expected to be knowledgable about your financial obligation and sign the agreement in good faith, understanding that you could end up paying a bit more or a bit less than you personally were expecting or hoping.
  • WilliamNYCWilliamNYC Registered User Posts: 543 Member
    edited December 2017
    "There's no financial commitment when applying ED. If the ED FA offer is insufficient to support attendance, you tell the school thanks but no thanks and apply elsewhere."

This advice is pretty cavalier. Not only are accepted ED students committed to rescind all other applications, I understand that schools accepting ED applicants may inform peer institutions of the acceptance of that student as such eliminating possible RD acceptances from those schools. Applicants should do serious research including financial aspect before pulling the trigger on ED. Kudos to the OP for not committing to something he might not be able to honor.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 2,722 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    All the above is true but this isn't a contract in the legal sense (its an agreement), there is no liability on the applicants part for declining an ED acceptance.

Here is the sentence from the ED agreement that applies and is highly interpretive.

"Should a student who applies for financial aid not be offered an award that makes attendance possible, the student may decline the offer of admission and be released from the Early Decision commitment."

If you, in all good faith, apply ED and had expectations (for whatever reason) of more FA then given you should explain it to the FA office and see if they are willing to change it, if not, then you certainly can decline the offer of admission as the agreement states above.
  • fbsdreamsfbsdreams Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    UChicago encourages applicants to not withdraw any applications until the FA package is released and agreed too.

My son was an EA/EDII student last year (2021) and was advised by his admissions counselor as such.

Good luck to anyone switching to EDII. Use the Net Price Calculator - that should be worst case. Don’t hesitate to call FA should you have specific questions regarding business income.

It does look like this pool will be substantially higher than last years based on this thread.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,478 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    "...weren't necessarily presenting themselves as good as they think these students can."

No. Deferral is a chance for adcoms to review you in the context of the fuller RD pool. Lots of reasons for this. It is not necessarily that the application was flawed.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,970 Senior Member
    You asked if you should commit to your EA school. Why would you do that now? Let your RD and deferral applications play out. Attend your top 2-3 choice accepted student days, then decide. You have until May 1.