Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Final Word Count

avanex20avanex20 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
edited December 2004 in University of Chicago
So how does your word count stack up

Why I like UCHICAGO:353 Words

Favorite books etc. :287 (too short?)

Mustard Essay:852 Words(too long?)
Post edited by avanex20 on

Replies to: Final Word Count

• bettinabettina Registered User Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    Sounds about right
  • thesandmanthesandman Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    Wow word limits on college apps are really annoying me.

Is it all right if my short answers are 400-500 words each? I mean it must impossible to talk about each of the categories in question #2 in less than 500 words. I only talked about books, authors, newspapers, plays, movies, and magazines and still reached 500 words.

My essay's approaching 900 words... is that a problem?
  • wondrlstwondrlst Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    my essay's 1,400.
  • BrinestormBrinestorm Registered User Posts: 536 Member
    Limit yourself to two (monstrous if need be) paragraphs for the first two questions, and two pages as measured in the Preview Application feature for the third question.

If for some reason you absolutely must spill over, it's fine: stop fretting like babies. :p
  • a123459a123459 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I really wouldn't worry about it--the whole point of Chicago's thought-provoking essay questions is to give you the opportunity to think deep and express yourself. As long as you don't send them a novel, I don't think they'll be terribly peeved. As a side note, if I had written a novel, I would still send it in (as a supplement).
  • twink1etwinkletwink1etwinkle Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    lol, good...

for "short" answer 2 i only wrote about 3 things in depth, and then touched upon a few other things, but my essay is still approaching 6 hundred words. if they wanted shorter essays, they should have limited the question more...instead of just telling me to write about whatever...
  • bettinabettina Registered User Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    Naw, they are seeing if you use good judgement. If not, you'll self select into the reject pile.
  • Miss Clare RemembersMiss Clare Remembers Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    lol bettina are you as feisty in person?
This discussion has been closed.