Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Extended Essay

brunotlbrunotl Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
edited December 2009 in University of Chicago
I'm sorry if the question is silly or something like that.

"Essay Option 5. In the spirit of adventurous inquiry, pose a question of your own. If your prompt is original and thoughtful, then you should have little trouble writing a great essay. Draw on your best qualities as a writer, thinker, visionary, social critic, sage, citizen of the world, or future citizen of the University of Chicago; take a little risk and have fun."

I have written quite a nice "pg 237" essay for Penn. Do you think it would fit here? I ask that because, as you see, the prompt allows us to make somthing different, but I don;t know how the admission officers would react to such essay. While surprising them would be good, I feel that they could think "oh well. a recycled essay from another application", which although not a crime, is true.

Again, sorry if it isn't a good question! I'm not used to all the procedures and want to get everything right. Thanks a lot in advance.
Post edited by brunotl on

Replies to: Extended Essay

• TheYankInLondonTheYankInLondon Registered User Posts: 3,487 Senior Member
    I might be remembering this incorrectly but I that a "page 237" essay was one of the prompts a few years ago and you are not supposed to use prompts from previous years...
  • brunotlbrunotl Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Oh no? I had no idea of that. If anyone could confirm this...
  • abcdefg1234abcdefg1234 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    a) you can use prompts from previous years
    b) people have used their pg. 217 (I think) for their Chicago essay and vice-versa
    c) make sure you pose an intelligent question that fits your pg. 217 essay, don't use the one on Upenn's page.
  • praisebetoFSMpraisebetoFSM Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Yeah, I'm with abcdefg. As long as you pose a question which effectively fits your pg. 217 (or 237 or whatever it is) essay, I don't think they'll blow it off as "just another recycled essay from another application".
  • brunotlbrunotl Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Well, mine talks about an ellectoral defeat by a narrow margin and how I use it as the kickoff of a series of projects (I swear it is actually better and less clichet than it sounds!! haha). I will think of some good "prompts"... thank you a lot!
This discussion has been closed.