Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Am I on track for the University of Chicago?

younginvestor03younginvestor03 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
edited April 2010 in University of Chicago
I am a male junior at a public school in Wisconsin. It is a very good school, although it does not offer a lot of AP classes its non-AP classes are very tough.

Junior year schedule:
Accelerated math physics
AP Computer Science
American Experience (American history from post WWII through the 1970s)
Africa
Spanish IV
Language Usage and Grammar
Pre-Calc
Scheduled for CPR (necessary gym credit, considering switching to an independent study in which I would probably research the effects of illegal immigration on the United States economy)
Advanced writing workshop (Probably hardest class in the school)
Intro to economics

Projected senior year schedule:
Advanced physics (essentially AP physics)
Astro-physics
AP US Government and policies
AP Calculus
AP statistics
Various english honors classes, not sure what our school is offering for next year yet
AP Spanish V
Perhaps music theory, depending on if I have room on my schedule

GPA: 4.0
PSAT Score: 65 Reading (scored 70 sophomore year, expect about 700 on SAT), 75 Mathematics, 58 Writing (I am not great on the writing skills section, but my essay writing is much much better). I am expecting between 2000-2100 on the SAT
ACT: Projected between 30-32

Will be 4 year wrestler, 3 time letter winner
Played baseball freshman year
Participating in Amigos de las Americas (modeled after Peace Corps, I will live in Latin America for 6 weeks this summer in a rural community to help with community development)
Have 60 hours of volunteering in a Jewish pre-school and a Jewish Social Services building
Participate in MENS (Men Encouraging Non-violent Strength club)
Looking to join an economics club

I know that I am not your "typical" cc'er, but I am very well-rounded maintaining a 4.0 GPA, fairly high test scores, many friends and I am 12-7 on varsity wrestling this year. I have traveled to France twice, once just with a friend, Switzerland once and I will be going to Spain this summer, along with the Amigos program that I will be participating in. I plan to major in economics, and the University of Chicago is among the top three undergrad economics department.

So CC, I have given you my school and personal information. Do you think I am on track for the University of Chicago, and if not, what do you think I need to do to get on the track?
Post edited by younginvestor03 on

Replies to: Am I on track for the University of Chicago?

• kitkatkatiekitkatkatie Registered User Posts: 474 Member
    OK. I'll admit that I skimmed.

As long as you have good test scores and a good GPA with the "most challenging curriculum" box checked on your counselor rec, it comes down to the picture you paint with your essays as combined with the rest of your application. I can't tell you if you're on track, because I don't know if you're a good writer or if you are good at representing yourself on paper. I think that it comes down to how you look: do you come off as a 3D person with intense, pursued passions, or as just another applicant with the typical essays. THey're looking for someone special- you are special. Just show it in your app.

Start thinking about unique essay ideas (I got my main common app essay idea as a Sophomore and it worked for me for EA). Start thinking about activities that would join some seemingly disjointed activities into a common theme.

Good luck, and it's a bit too early to get school specific. Try to enjoy your junior year. It's hard, but it's way less stressful than senior year (fall... spring is gonna rock).
  • jusdel1jusdel1 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Don't worry, you're on track. I'm pretty sure. If you have an ACT score above 28, you're pretty much fine at that school. I'm a senior and I got deferred with lower stats than yours (I expected rejectio). Just work on your Essays and your recommnedations.

By the way..................I WAS AN AMIGO TOO THIS PAST SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where were you? I was in Paraguay.

Another thing, USE AMIGOS IN YOUR ESSAYS. It helps trusts me. People who had higher stats than me in school got flat out rejected from early action, mainly because there essays weren't creative (I've read) and/or just seems their experiences could be overlooked.
  • younginvestor03younginvestor03 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    jusdel, I am going to Paraguay this summer, you should PM me about your experience.

Also, I am now looking at Duke, UNC, UVA, UW-Madison, UT-Austin. I recently visited University of Chicago and I realized that I needed the complete college experience, with the football and basketball games and school spirit. My March SAT scores were 690 CR, 690 M, 670 W (11 E). I finished the wrestling season with a 21-15 record and was named captain :) I am currently taking a college-level writing course, and combined with my Amigos experience that I will have, it will make for an excellent college essay
This discussion has been closed.