Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Student Contribution? Opinions? Advice? Term time vs. summer employment what????

kitkatkatiekitkatkatie Registered User Posts: 474 Member
edited January 2010 in University of Chicago
So I just submitted the FAFSA, which got me thinking about my student contribution. I tried to find the amount I'm expected to contribute during the term, but I can't find it anywhere! I know the summer contribution figures, but the term-time employment ones are a mystery.

How much money do I have to contribute during the academic year?

Also, I have national merit-- how much does that help me (I know it'll be $2k/year for me, and it will reduce my contribution, but how much less would I have to work with it?)

And, any ideas about how to make working during school smoother?

Thanks so much for the help!
Post edited by kitkatkatie on

Replies to: Student Contribution? Opinions? Advice? Term time vs. summer employment what????

• lasermouse9lasermouse9 Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Your term-time employment should be around $750 a quarter, and may be spent on books, personal needs, etc. If I remember correctly. Furthermore, I should not that the National Merit Scholarship is administered in one lump sum of $2500, not in yearly installments.
  • haavainhaavain Registered User Posts: 794 Member
    ^ You're confusing National Merit's own award with U of C's award to NMFs, which is in fact 2k/year for those with financial need.

ETA: OP, how much do you have in loans? I think scholarships reduce loans before work-study/summer contribution.
  • kitkatkatiekitkatkatie Registered User Posts: 474 Member
    I have a couple thou in loans, but not from chicago. If I could use NMF money to pay that off, that would be amazing. Though, I will most likely be using my summer earnings to pay off loans.

Really? Only $750/quarter. That's manageable. I would be on a $0 EFC plan, though. So, the only money I would pay would be the student contribution. Don't I have to contribute my term-time earnings towards my tuition/room and board? Or, does the term-time employment money cover the ~$3k estimated personal expenses?
  • lasermouse9lasermouse9 Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Sorry about the confusion on the scholarship.

Yes, effectually, the t-t employment funds may be spent on personal expenses. It is YOUR money. You earn it, and it goes into your bank account; the college does not monitor how it is spent. The important feature of work-study is that you show initiative in your own financial well-being by getting a job, doing the work, and earning the money. You can spend the money as irresponsibly as you like, or you can save every penny. The choice is yours.
This discussion has been closed.