Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Strolling Hyde Park w/ LV handbag >> not safe?

tracyxxxtracyxxx Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in University of Chicago
In some safety tips people give students are adviced against behavior such as walking down the street with iPod in one hand and Mac Book pro in the other, but what about sporting a LV/Gucci bag? Does that automatically make one a sure target?
(I'm currently considering a splurge, after finally having graduated from high school)

Also, I was told that one should keep on talking on the cell phone (even if there's no one on the other end) if walking alone at night, just to ward off potential muggars, but is it better not to do so if one is using an iPhone/ Nokia N96 or something on those lines?
Post edited by tracyxxx on

Replies to: Strolling Hyde Park w/ LV handbag >> not safe?

• unaloveunalove Registered User Posts: 3,725 Senior Member
    With regards to designer handbags, I think you're fine. I see a lot of people around HP sporting handbags that are most likely fake and much cheaper than yours will be. If anything makes you a "target," it will be the fact that you're a college student. Whether you are alone or with friends, drunk or sober, in a well-lit or poorly lit area will add or detract from your "target" ness. If you're like me and read a lot of crime reports from different cities, you will see a common thread of the alone-female-stumbling-home-from-a-bar victim.

At night, I think you're best off keeping your attention on your surroundings. Know who else is on the street, and if something doesn't seem right to you for whatever reason, turn around, call UCPD, or do what you think may be appropriate.

If you're going to worry about crime and theft, I would focus your attention on parties. Many of the apartment parties I've been to have been very large, anonymous, and open to anyone, and most people will toss their bags and coats in a room without hesitation, which is kinda dumb. I'd recommend taking the bare minimum with you when you're going to a party-- keys, some cash, and your cell phone-- and leaving everything else at home.
  • newmassdadnewmassdad Registered User Posts: 3,848 Senior Member
    ^ good advice.

Two months ago, D had her down coat stolen. She was at a club where a lot of coats were tossed in a corner. Interestingly, this was in Oxford, UK.

Bottom line, you don't want to lose it? Don't take it. If you take it, keep it in your sight or on your body at all times.

Regarding the OP's question, given the fake/lookalike designer goods, I don't think any decent value aware mugger will take the risk of stealing fake designer goods. And the real thing is a bit tough to sell anyway, at least in terms of its value - how does the mugger convince his fence that it's the real thing, not a very good knockoff?

Much more effective to focus on stuff that can't be faked - ipods, phones and such. There's a much better market for these.

Purses and bags have their role, because they often contain the goodies. But that's it. JMHO
  • drdomdrdom Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    UNALOVE - glad you're back!
  • HappyBuddhaHappyBuddha Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    Ipods and phones can be faked. Youl be able to tell by a quick look at the software though
  • tracyxxxtracyxxx Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    ^ The faking tech. can be way better than that actually. My roommate uses the same cell phone as I do, the only diff. is that I paid $400 for it while she paid only $100, while hers functions better than mine, this is so unfair

And thanks for the advice people!
This discussion has been closed.