Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

SATs.. argh

JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Registered User Posts: 766 Member
edited May 2010 in University of Chicago
Ok, so I took the SAT for the third time in May and I did hideously:

720CR
730M (should be getting 800)
670W (ridiculous, usually get full marks for the MCs - 8 on the essay.. let down)

That makes a 2120..
I know I can get 800 for M, and possibly a 800 for W. CR is really as good as it is going to get for me though.

Does UChicago accept score choice? If so, should I retake for a 4th time? Also, thats make 1450 CR + M (1490 Super-score).. so does it only look at CR+M?
Post edited by JebarPolsky on

Replies to: SATs.. argh

• abcdefg1234abcdefg1234 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    You're fine, and also: the writing portion of the test is irrelevant for UChicago.
  • HappyBuddhaHappyBuddha Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    i think taking the SAT more than three times is frowned upon, or so i hear. But it makes sense. Whats your combined score for CR and Math? Uchig deals in the 1600 scale
  • fmhcbcfmhcbc Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    I really would NOT suggest retaking the SAT another time. Usually taking the SAT more than 3 times just looks bad (although you CAN opt not to send scores from a sitting), and a 1490 superscored out of 1600 is fine. My SAT stats were very similar to yours -- 2120 overall, 1450 out of 1600 in one sitting, and a 1480 out of 1600 superscored -- and I got in.
  • JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Registered User Posts: 766 Member
    Hey fmhcbc, do you reckon I could know a little about the rest of your profile? I really want to know what all I need to get in.
  • estrat1estrat1 Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    A 730 in math isn't bad at all; IMO, as long as you're in the 700's, nobody is going to call your math abilities into question. Just aim for high 700's or an 800 on the SAT II Math IIc (800 should be really easy to get if you're a math person), and nobody will care that you didn't get an 800 on the SAT I Math (anyone who knows anything about it knows how harshly it's curved).

And I have to point out about the writing: first, it is in NO way a reflection of your writing ability. You can be a great writer and a grammar purist and get a 600, while someone who [email protected] lyk dis onlyn could get an 800. Second, the nice thing is that UChicago realizes this and doesn't even look at your writing score (someone on here said that it gets blacked out before admissions sees it).

So, yeah...you don't really have a reason to take the SAT another time. Try the ACT if you feel your score should be better (I hear some people do much better on one than they do on the other). Other than that, essays essays essays.
  • JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Registered User Posts: 766 Member
    Wow, it gets blacked out? That is awesome! :D That made my day. Anyway, I wrote a killer personal statement, at least that's what I think.
This discussion has been closed.