Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

how do uchicago students dress?

ilovefhfilovefhf Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in University of Chicago
is everyone always in jeans/sweatpants and hoodies or is it more preppy or formal?
Post edited by ilovefhf on

Replies to: how do uchicago students dress?

• lastforlifelastforlife Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    google urban outfitters and forever 21. but i did see sweatpants, jeans, hoodies, etc. mixed in.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,716 Senior Member
  • FriedmanfreakFriedmanfreak Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    I'm fairly certain you can dress however you want and feel comfortable - Chicago students don't seem like the type to care; I certainly don't!
  • UChopefulmomUChopefulmom Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I know this is OT, but has anyone tried that live camera? I can't get it to work. It keeps telling me to install the program and I say okay to install, yes I will allow, but it just goes back to the original screen.
  • J'adoubeJ'adoube Registered User Posts: 2,133 Senior Member
  • UChopefulmomUChopefulmom Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Now going SERIOUSLY OT. Here's the sequence I get when I click on the webcam.

1. In the top nav bar: "The website want to install the following add-on: Axis Media control... click here if you want to install"

2. I click. Goes to "Windows needs your permission to continue"

3. I say yes. New pop-up "Do you want to install?"

4. I check install and get this message...

5. AXIS Media Control which enables streaming video in Microsoft Internet Explorer, has not been installed or could not be registered on this computer. To install or upgrade the
    AXIS Media Control , you must have Administration rights on this computer and you must answer Yes
    when asked if you wish to allow the installation. AXIS 211 Network Camera can also be configured to show still images.

6. Repeat steps 1 - 5 about six times with the same result.

Okay, I am not a computer genius, but what am I doing wrong?
  • zephyrazephyra Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Most students get by with jeans and T-shirts (rarely sweatpants, for some reason), but Forever 21, H&M, Urban Outfitters is very popular. Overall I'd say it's not very preppy, but if you do dress preppy it's fine. Honestly, just dress in whatever you like and feel comfortable with--no one is really going to care.
  • ilovefhfilovefhf Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    since it's always cold can u really just wear tshirts all the time? or are people usually in sweaters/jackets?
  • JBVirtuosoJBVirtuoso Registered User Posts: 4,579 Senior Member
    ^Well, it's not always cold. It's cold from mid-October to mid-April or so, but we're here longer than that.

In the winter, it's a lot of layering, and you just do whatever you want with it. North Face stuff seems wildly popular.

No one really wears PJs to class. We usually look a bit more put together than that. You'll see people in the dining hall in PJs, but that's different. A lot of people wear UChicago hoodies during the winter, but usually with jeans.

As far as style goes, students tend more toward the hipster side of things instead of preppy. Plaid, skinny jeans, and Converse are pretty popular. Other than that, whatever feels comfortable and looks presentable is fair game.
  • ThoughtProvokingThoughtProvoking Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    I don't think there is one type of Chicago student when it comes to dress - some people will dress preppy, others in sweatpants. Many people will dress differently on different days (e.g. when they have an early-morning class).
This discussion has been closed.