Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

My chances EA vs. RD

bobalob23bobalob23 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
edited August 2010 in University of Chicago
I'm applying as a physics major. Here are my stats.
WGPA: 4.05
UWGPA: 3.8

Testing:
SAT: 2080 CR: 770 Math: 710 Writing: 600 SAT (out of 1600): 1480
SAT IIs:
Math 2: 800
Chemistry: 710 (I'll get it up to an 800 in october)
Physics: 800

APs:
AP Chemistry (4)
AP Calculus AB (plan on taking)
AP Physics (Plan on taking)
AP Biology (plan on taking)
AP Statistics (plan on taking)

Awards: Bausch and Lomb honorary Science award

ECs:
Math team (10, 11, 12)
Baseball (9, 10, 11) (not varsity)
indoor track (10, 11)
Captain of my physics olympics team (11)
Chemistry Olympiad (11 didn't make it out of northeastern qualifiers)
Kick off Mentor (11, 12)
Chemistry Club (11,12)
Internship at coastal research lab (11,12)

Community Service:
Referee of kids floor hockey (9, 11, 12)
over 150 hours of community service (time spent at coastal research internship also counted towards community service)

I have recently become heavily involved in my internship at the coastal research lab and I'm helping to write and present a paper on the health of the marsh I am studying to the community around January 1st 2011. I was wondering if i have a better shot a U of C applying EA before i present this paper of after and applying RD.
Post edited by bobalob23 on

Replies to: My chances EA vs. RD

• artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,310 Senior Member
    U can apply for EA and if successful, the paper become a moot issue. If you were rejected, you can appeal with that paper. If you were deferred, you can submit the paper then.
  • overachiever1992overachiever1992 Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    Just a quick note; I don't know about the other schools you're applying to, but for the UofC, you'd do better to raise your SAT I score than your SAT II scores b/c you can always send only the 800s.
  • Rny2Rny2 Registered User Posts: 607 Member
    Also, remember that UChi only looks at the Math and English sections of the SAT I, so if you're retaking, focus on getting that 710 in Math up.

And work hard on those essays! Enjoy it! Be spontaneous and genuine! Show the Love!*

*Sadly, the Dean of Love is gone (from Admissions, at least)
  • HonorsCentaurHonorsCentaur Registered User Posts: 1,666 Senior Member
    Your scores are fine, UChicago doesn't consider writing.

You have decent stats, not unqualified to attend, but far from being a sure bet. Have rock-solid, poignant essays and you'll be a strong candidate for admission.
  • pandapalspandapals Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Unless you are planning on applying somewhere else ED, this shouldn't even be considered. Applying EA increases your chances of admissions...so why not do it?

That being said...I am confused as to how you can get a 710 on Math SAT I and an 800 on Math SAT II. Retake perhaps and just focus on the math section. If you can get an 800 on Math II, you can easily get a 750+ on Math I. Just focus and check over your answers.

If you're asking about EA vs. RD just because of your paper...I'd just apply EA. Most likely the boost from EA beats the paper. That is purely speculative however.
    ^^^ I'm not so sure that's the case with the math tests.
    I do agree about the EA thing though.
  • arsenalcrazyarsenalcrazy Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    @pandapals

Haha I can understand the difference :p I got a 710 on the math part of SAT I and a 790 on the SAT II. It's probably just because the questions are more straightforward on math II while on the other they kind of trick you. Also you have to take into consideration the curve. I left 5 blank and got maybe 1 or 2 wrong on math II and got a 790. With the normal SAT I only got 3 wrong, no omits and got a 710...yeah, I wasn't too happy about that lol :)
    ^^^3 wrong gave you a 710???
    I got 3 wrong, and received a score of 750. O_o
  • conscience444conscience444 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I know this might have already been said - but UofC considers SAT I scores a lot. The average SAT score for accepted kids at my school is higher than a 2350 and the only person who got in EA had a 2400 and straight A-pluses. My cousin does premed there and she had the same stats when she applied EA.
    ^^ I got one wrong and got a 760...

^ I don't think the UofC considers SAT I scores any more than other top schools. I know someone who got in with a 3.4 and scores in the 500s for all three sections of the SAT I.
    What conscience444 is blatantly false information.
  • arsenalcrazyarsenalcrazy Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    @HonorsCentaur I guess it depended on the date. My 710 was on the March test so the math was probably considered easier than on the date you took it. Stupid collegeboard curves :b

Also, @conscience444 if that even is true, you're making assumptions from a very small sample. Your school isn't representative of what happens with all applicants. Maybe even though those students had strong scores, they didn't have good essays or didn't put much effort into their application.
  • SuperIBkidSuperIBkid Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Chicago looks at your essays, your GPA, your ECs and finally your SATs. Kids with 1300+ composite scores with decent essays, a strong GPA and focused ECs definitely stand a better chance than a 1500+ composite score kid with a mediocre GPA, boring essays and scattered ECs.
    ^ But note that there are also lots of applicants with 1500+ SATs, great GPAs, strong essays, and interesting ECs.
  • SuperIBkidSuperIBkid Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    And yet Chicago's SAT median score is something like 1310-1530.
This discussion has been closed.