Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Requirement of TOEFL IBT for U Chicago

wanyifuwanyifu Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
edited July 2010 in University of Chicago
I am from China so I have to take the TOEFL TEST. I have heard that U Chicago requires us to score higher than 26 in each section of the TOEFL test. Does it ever compromise on this issue? What happens if I only get a 20 and meet its requirements of other sections? Should I retake the test to increase my possiblties of being admitted? Thanks for the help from Chinese and other Alumnis who have this kind of experience!
Post edited by wanyifu on

Replies to: Requirement of TOEFL IBT for U Chicago

• -CS-CS Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    I am not sure if this helps, but on the college admissions website, it states:

"The University of Chicago only admits students who have demonstrated a superior level of English language competence: 104 or higher on the Internet Based TOEFL or 600 or higher on the Paper Based TOEFL. Minimum required scores in the IELTS are an overall score of 7, with sub scores of 7 each."
  • wanyifuwanyifu Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Thanks for your citation, CS. I indeed get exactly 104 (with a poor 20 in speaking section).
    I am not sure if I will be disadvantaged and I am now evaluating whether I should retake this test!
  • overachiever1992overachiever1992 Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    I would recommend asking your regional rep, just to make sure. I wouldn't worry about it if your SAT/ACTs are good.
This discussion has been closed.