Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Co-op for Infromation Technology?

HarvardDreams95HarvardDreams95 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Okay, so I'm an international student and I originally applied for Computer Science, but the program was full by the time I applied. I want to know whether it is easy to transfer to Computer Science or not. Also, how does the mandatory co-op pay? I assume that there will be plenty of jobs, considering the fact that it is mandatory, but please tell me if I'm wrong. I've received a good scholarship but I'd like to at least earn enough to pay the remainder of the tuition fee which will probably add up to about $10k by myself with the pay from co-op, I don't want to put any more pressure on my parents. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies to: Co-op for Infromation Technology?

• OhDad3OhDad3 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Can't answer specific questions for CS, but UC's College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) claims that a co-op will earn $45-55K in aggregate within the 5-year span.
  • bnghlpflbnghlpfl Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Regarding ease of transfer to CS - it depends. If there are spots available and you meet the entrance requirements, it is easy, if there are no spots available or you do not meet the requirements, then not easy. I recommend you talk with the CS undergraduate advisor at UC and she can assist with more details/history.

As for co-op - CS averaged $16 per hour and IT $14 per hour (each program has students completing five semesters of full-time co-op work experience - so for CS (roughly) that would be $16 x 40hrs/week x 15 weeks x 5 terms = $48K).

Please note, that as an international student it is harder to find a co-op because some US companies will not hire international students as it is difficult to hire an international student on a full-time basis after graduation. So just be aware that there is no guarantee.

Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.