Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
PinklySmoothPinklySmooth Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited June 2013 in University of Florida
What's the difference between biology-AG and biology-LS and which one is the best for a pre med student?
Post edited by PinklySmooth on

Replies to: Pre Med

• aares1aares1 Registered User Posts: 400 Member
    For pre-med it's LS - Liberal Arts & Sciences. The other is agricultural.
  • rs0525rs0525 Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    They are two different colleges within UF. LS is the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, and AG is the College of Agricultural & Life Sciences. Either way, you should obviously choose the pre-professional track if you want to major in biology and go to med school. Let me outline the differences for you:

LS:
    -College-specific requirement - intermediate foreign language OR exam score that will give credits for such classes.
    -Gen Ed requirements: 3C, 6M, 9S, 9H, 6B, 6P, a science lab, 3 N, 3D

AG:
    -College-specific requirements: 1 class each in economics, public speaking, & technical writing (see ISIS for classes than you can take for these requirements)
    -Gen Ed requirements: 3C, 6M, 6S and 9H OR 9S and 6H, 12 B and P combined, 3N, 3D

In the last year or two, you will have to take 12 credits of upper-division life science electives to finish your degree. Each college has different approved electives, which can be found here:
    Compare CALS and CLAS Approved ALS Electives Pre-professional Majors » Biology Major » University of Florida

Also, I'm not entirely sure if this is true, as I thought of it after selecting AG as my college, but in case I want to do any research within my college at UF, AG is smaller than LS, so getting a spot in research should be a little easier, as a result of decreased competition. There's also been some hearsay that AG has better research opportunities.

In the long-run, nobody will care which college you choose. Either way, you get the same degree. It's a matter of which path you want to take to getting your Biology degree. It shouldn't make a difference to your ambition of going to med school in the long run. I've explained to you why I chose AG, but it's up to you to choose which path suits you better. Good luck choosing, and good luck freshman year! Study hard, especially for chem! :)
This discussion has been closed.