Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SAE Lion statue SMASHED...

SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
edited November 2007 in University of Florida
By KIM WILMATH, Alligator Staff Writer
Twenty-five years ago, a now-infamous man named Edgar was left with a naked scalp, vowing to get revenge.

On Sunday morning, members of UF's chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity discovered the face of their lion statue smashed, a sin they suspect Edgar of committing, said Sam Warfield, president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

In 1982, repainting the lion statue outside the house at 2 Fraternity Row was punishable by razor, Warfield said.

He said Edgar - a man with no known last name - and his girlfriend sullied the stone cat anyway, and members of the fraternity shaved the offenders' heads against their will.

The members probably tied them down to complete the trim, Warfield said.

Edgar was not a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, known as SAE, Warfield added.

The fraternity planned on taking its Christmas picture in front of the lion.

However, Warfield said it would have to wait until the head is repaired.

He said several SAE alumni have told the present chapter they've seen Edgar around UF's campus recently.

The alumni also said to watch out for him.

"It's always been a folklore rumor," Warfield said. "And I've seen stranger things be true than that."

The Independent Florida Alligator: News - Fraternity discovers smashed lion statue
Post edited by SSobick on

Replies to: SAE Lion statue SMASHED...

• ChamilitaryMayneChamilitaryMayne Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    wow i knew something looked funny when i passed by it
  • SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    For better or for worse the Lion has become a landmark of UF. I think it was just tasteless for someone to do that. I hope SAE doesn't become lame and completely get rid of it....

If US Senator George Smathers was still alive: I have no doubt he would have his vengeance. SAE was his Fraternity, and evidently he was a staunch supporter.
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Round up the usual suspects and Taser them?
    Low blow Parent..

But thats OK because: Tebow is going to do so well against the Noles this weekend that he will seal the deal on the Heisman Trophy.
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    C'mon...it was too tempting. :D

Maybe. ;)

We had a quarterback similar to Tebow who we thought was the greatest - Dan Kendra. He was an amazing physical specimen and was known for running opposing team members over. We figured he was a shoo-in for the Heisman.

Then he blew out an ACL and was never the same. See: Player Bio: Dan Kendra :: Football

Here's hoping your Tebow has better luck. I hope he wins the Heisman, but UF loses to the lowly 'Noles. :)
    I remember Kenda: The guy was an animal
    ___

Thats okay Parent I know you are not too fond of those Florida Blue Key boys from way back in the Ole' Florida times. Believe it or not my Grandfather was a Professor at the University of Miami and he used to tell me about the Pork Chop Gang from back in his day. Let's just say he was not a big fan of those Rural County guys.

Here is a link to Ole Senator Smather's profile to the readers out there:

George Smathers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This discussion has been closed.