Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Calculators

gator1089gator1089 Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
edited January 2008 in University of Florida
Hi, I am currently a senior in high school. I', in ap calc this year, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to invest in a ti89. I am hoping to attend uf next fall, and major in either microbiology or some type of engineering if this helps.
Post edited by gator1089 on

Replies to: Calculators

• doubleplaydoubleplay Registered User Posts: 3,550 Senior Member
    Hi gator, my kids have ti89 calculators and they are in engineering and biology. I'm just a mom, though. We actually just replaced one... grrrr... that got 'lost'. If you are thinking about replacing a calculator (say, your ti83), I'd replace it with the ti89titanium. Can't hurt.
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    Personally, I would say no. At UF you cant use a calculator in calc 1, 2, or 3. Some differential equations classes use it, as well as some calc 3. If you decide on microbio then I would defiantly say no. You wont use it. A scientific is all you need. If you are engineering then you can buy it (but a 89 is not needed), but if you want you can get it. I know many who use an 83 in engineering.
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    Also microbio, from my knowledge only take up to calc 1 (and many take stats too). Biochem goes to calc 2.
  • kaitlinc3kaitlinc3 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    If you have to take stat, I'd get an 84. I have an 89 (I'm in high school), and it's great for calc when we're allowed to use it, but it's slow on a lot of stat things. I find 84's to be very efficient when it comes to stat.
  • physhphysh Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Get the 89. It helps for chemistry, especially when you want to type everything in.
  • iamapersonnniamapersonnn Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm in calc2 now and my professor lets us use our TI89s on the test
  • kaitlinc3kaitlinc3 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    I wish my calc teacher let us use 89's on our tests. I think he's afraid of them, though. Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.