Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Laptop

2»

Replies to: Best Laptop

• big_al_40big_al_40 Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    People don't think they are expensive, when compared to a PC with similar specs they are expensive. The bottom of the line MacBook costs $1000 while the bottom of the line Dell cost $500(you might need $100 of upgrades to the bottom of the line dell to make it comparable) so $600, still $400 cheaper than the Mac.
    That is only looking at dells. When you are looking at more expensive Macs dells are still cheaper but you can buy a whitebook and build your own laptop for much less.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 30,018 Super Moderator
    Ok, I admit that people don't buy Macs because they are cheaper. But still, no matter how much I've spent, I can't find a way to turn a PC into a Mac. ;)
  • windywindy User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 Junior Member
    For the money I think it is a great machine. Solid as a rock, pretty screen, good keyboard, 120 gig hard drive, 2 gig ram, small power brick, comes with a cover case and a fancy faux leather folder for the manuals (no big deal but a nice touch). My one child at Williams has a T61 and loves it, no problems. My other at UVA has a mac and no problems. So I think it comes down to money and I think the Dell and also the T61 are better machines for the buck. They are enterprise systems unlike the lowest priced mac.
  • windywindy User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 Junior Member
    The 13.3 in screen is slightly small for us older folks but the kids like it. Always a trade off for weight. I like the 14.1 form of the t61 but it is sort of a dull looking industrial laptop.
  • rogracerrogracer Registered User Posts: 1,205 Senior Member
    For engineering, I would pick a PC. Don't get me wrong, Macs are great and I own a one. But engineering software such as MatLab, Mathcad, Pro/E is all native windows software. So, you will end up needing windows. Since your engineering apps will be windows based, the most logical thing (to avoid switching OSes) is to get the windows version of Office. If that's true, you will seldom be in the Mac OS. So why buy a Mac, just to run windows the vast majority of the time? If you do go the Mac root, I would verify (through people that have actually run them), that the engineerings apps do not have compatibility problems on the Mac, just to be sure.
  • gator1089gator1089 Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    I too have been wondering which laptop to go with.
    It's between: macbook pro (15.4), Dell XPS m1530, and the sony fz series
    I will be a microbiology major- then hopefully med school or pharmacy.
    I am just so tired of windows computers, i always have so many problems, but I am a little hesitant to pay $2000 for a macbook pro, and then not like it.
  • Faresx25xFaresx25x Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    ok so i made up my mind, im going with windows (M1330), anyone know if xp is still preffered over vista for enineering at the moment? i know on their requirement page UF advises to stay away from vista but that was summer 2006. anyone got a clue?
2»
This discussion has been closed.