Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

CHANCE ME! please look

fabi0litafabi0lita Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
edited February 2008 in University of Florida
hispanic female attending magnet school in broward county.

GPA
Weighted: 4.75
Unweighted: 3.79
Class Rank: 4 of 291
SAT: 1260 ACT: 26
Intended College Major: Political Science with a minor in French

HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
o Yearbook Staff (12th)
o BRASA member (11th, 12th)
o History/Geography Brain Bowl Captain (11th, 12th)
o American Math Competition (10th, 11th, 12th)
o Mu Alpha Theta (9th)
o Varsity Tennis Team (9th)

AWARDS
o UF Hispanic-Latino High School Scholars Award (11th)
o AP Scholar with Honors (11th)
o Straight “A” Honor Roll (11th)
o FCAT 10th Grade Writing Certificate of Achievement (10th)
o 1st Place Fashion Design Show (10th)

VOLUNTEER HOURS
o 92 hours at local elementary school

AP EXAMS
European History - 3
American History - 4
English Language - 4
Spanish Language - 5
American Gov't - Currently Taking
English Literature - Currently Taking

JOBS
July 2006-May 2007 Offerdahl's Cafe Grill. Food prep & Cashier. 20hrs/week
January 2008-current Lady of America Fitness Center. Front Desk & Orientator. 15hrs/week

THANK YOU!!!---
Post edited by fabi0lita on

Replies to: CHANCE ME! please look

• orangenblueorangenblue Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    i'll bet money your in
  • dvm258dvm258 Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    Did you post a chances thread last year? I think I remember posting on it. Well, things change anyway, so everyone deserves a second look. (And not only that, but we're both in Broward. Ugh, when will the similarities end! LOL)

Of course your SAT is low, but I don't think it will hurt you, and I feel you have a very good chance of getting in.

I said this before though: I don't really consider an FCAT Certificate of Achievement an "award." This especially holds true out of state, though from your previous posts, I doubt you're moving anywhere outside of FL. However, I'll admit I'm a biased person; I believe the FCAT should either be abolished or overhauled because the test is politically corrupted. What score do you need to get that certificate, a 4 or 5....or 6, if that score exists? Sorry, I'm a private school student, so I don't know how the Florida WRITES tests are scored.

Also, I'm not sure how the fashion design show award fits into your application. If I won a Luke Skywalker look-alike contest, it wouldn't be on my application. But if it's related to your major, that's another story.

But the point is you're greatly qualified, and you should get in.
  • SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    Better chance of acceptance, than being dinged. But by no means a sure bet.
  • fabi0litafabi0lita Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    Anybody else?? Please.
  • gator12gator12 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    Yes, your SAT is a bit low, but I think your gpa will help you. Also, being hispanic with help too. I think us broward kids are going to be the hardest for them to decide! Good luck!
  • MedwellMedwell Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    ahhh barely missed bright futures. lol
    what's your UF GPA? (not the one your school made)
    (Honors = +0.5, AP/IB = +1; same as bright futures gpa)
    Well, I think a lot of students from South FL will have a hard time getting in. If regional diversity is an issue to them, they'll end up taking a much higher proportion of students from North and Central FL because Broward and Miami-Dade have huge populations. I don't believe that will happen though.
  • J'adoubeJ'adoube Registered User Posts: 2,133 Senior Member
    Miami-Dade and Broward students should get about 20% of acceptances since that's about their proportion in the state. There is no reason why the percentage of top students should be higher in this area (or lower). Even for Presidential Scholar candidates (students that had the highest scores in the SAT/ACT in the state) the percentage for Miami-Dade and Broward is about 20%.
  • gator12gator12 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    I've heard that they have to take a certain amount from each county. And since Broward is so big, and have such high scores, it should be harder for those students.
    I don't think UF has any quota for each county. As long as they're in state, everyone's the same.
    UF GPA/Bright Futures GPA: 4.38 for the 100% (which I do not have) and 4.28 for 75% (which I'm getting).

What are my chances now???
  • doubleplaydoubleplay Registered User Posts: 3,550 Senior Member
    Being as close as you are (10 points away!), you really should take the SATs again this spring. If you can get your score up just 10 little points, you'll get 100%.
    I don't understand your last post. 4.38 for 100% and 4.28 for 75%? A 3.5 weighted is required for 100% bright futures. Are you comparing your UF GPA to your bright futures GPA?
    No, somebody asked my UF GPA so they could chance me, so it is 4.38 (with honors being .5 pts and AP being 1 pt)
    Oh, that was me. LOL. Anyway, I think you have a very good shot.
This discussion has been closed.